Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Need guidance on air intake and muf system

Old 12-16-2009, 10:28 PM
3 Year Member
Default Need guidance on air intake and muf system

Guys,

All stock 06 SS right now, stored away and looking to update the muffler system and add a btr air intake system (K&N etc.). The air intake i can probably handle but looking for suggestions, the muf is a little harder...I talked to a local mechanic, he suggested removing the resonator and adding better muf's....need some help here....

Old 12-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

look no further, this is the one you need!! select year, make, model and motor!

http://www.coldairinductions.com/

also summit racing has tips for exhaust and some decent summit race mufflers that have a decent tone!
check this thread out, i know, it's kinda long but it has a great bunch of info on summit mufflers and the guy that did the mod has an 06 SS Monte, check it out, it's a great topic!!

Summit Fully Welded Mufflers, also the tips suggested in this look cool!!

Last edited by monte carlo 3831; 12-16-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:38 PM
3 Year Member

great, already took a look, is there a difference between the plastic boxes versus the metal...think i heard somewhere there was...

Old 12-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

the one i sent has an aluminum box with a heat shield, here are a couple pics, i haven't installed it yet. a little cold right now outside (no garage), check it out!

Old 12-17-2009, 12:46 AM

i wouldnt remove the resonator every time i hear one with the resonator removed it sounds raspy as hell and not an improvement in my opinion. if i were to do the exhaust again i would either just get a set of flowmaster 40s for it and call it a day or if i wanted it substantially louder i would remove the mufflers all together. another option would be leave the res and the factory mufflers and get a cutout for it. heres a couple links. on the cold air i think either the k&n or the cai are both good i would go with the one i can get for the best price. anyway goodluck and post a video once you do the exhaust.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=16161
like i said raspy might just be while the car is warming up but i still dont like it. sounds good at idle though.

heres mine.
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=16312

Old 12-17-2009, 09:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The difference between the CAI that Chris sent you, and the K&N, is the fact that the K&N doesn't really do much about heat...

I have a K&N myself, and the heat-shield isn't the best...

Old 12-17-2009, 09:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I would definitely go with the cold air inductions air intake box over the K&N. The Coldairinductons box keeps heat out better, and IMO looks better. Look in my photo album, and you can see pics of what it looks like installed. (I have the same box on my V6, and it is great). I have a K&N intake on my truck, and like Mike said, the "heat shield" is pretty worthless...

As for exhaust, I agree with TheMonteMan. I would not completly remove your resonator, you IMO it does not always sound the best. I personally changed out my resonator for a smaller one, so it tones the exhaust nicely, yet still allows it to be louder than the stock resonator, plus it flows better than the stock resonator.

My recommendation for exhaust is either Magnaflow, or Flowmaster. They both have a slightly different sound to them, it preference really. Magnaflows are generally a bit more on the pricey side in comparison to Flows, but IMO worth it.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:30 PM
3 Year Member

Ok, guys after reading through this thread and others, please correct me if I'm wrong: 3" down pipe, 3" piping, flowmaster 40 and a 4 inch tip.....along with CAI kit. Just about to go look but what are the flowmaster 44's? Just bigger I'm assuming...going to check.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Downpipe for your car??? Where?

Old 12-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by 06MCSS
Ok, guys after reading through this thread and others, please correct me if I'm wrong: 3" down pipe, 3" piping, flowmaster 40 and a 4 inch tip.....along with CAI kit. Just about to go look but what are the flowmaster 44's? Just bigger I'm assuming...going to check.
What about Summit Race mufflers? And now there are Doug Thorley headers available too...
Check out www.ls1tech.com and find the LS4 sub-forum. You won't be disappointed.
Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
Downpipe for your car??? Where?
Hogan Performance. LINK

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need guidance on air intake and muf system