General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Locking fuel door

Old 05-15-2015, 08:00 AM
1 Year Member
Default Locking fuel door

Do you guys think fabbing up a locking fuel door is possible ? I recently had a whole tank of fuel stolen in the driveway. I don't like locking caps, I'd lock myself out .

I was looking at various fuel door actuators, and think it's definitely possible, especially using units that don't mount directly on the rear panel, but instead have a long cable that locks via a pin. The actuator mounts elsewhere, under car or in the trunk. Next time I get the the yard, I'll grab some stuff to fab one up. The actuator might have to come from ebay, though. The design I'm looking at is kinda specific.

I know its no match for a crowbar, but neither is glass and I guarantee most of you lock your doors anyway. I want to fab something that is enough to "keep people honest" in a sense, like locking a door or trunk does.

Even though we are in a rural area, i swear we have a high theft rate. Almost all of our vehicles have had "lower than expected" fuel levels at one point or another but we couldn't prove it. I had a seized ignition cylinder and it had a full tank when I parked it. The class act even forgot to tighten the cap when we was done. To be honest, I'm getting paranoid about sugar or sand being next.

Anyway, If I do fab something up, would anyone be interested in a kit if i design one ? I could do both impala and monte (fuel door and hinge is different) I have access to both for fab purposes.
It wouldn't involve a new door, just riveting (or using christmas trees) a catch plate via the existing holes.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:01 AM
Default Rewire

Originally Posted by Scott_S
Do you guys think fabbing up a locking fuel door is possible ? I recently had a whole tank of fuel stolen in the driveway. I don't like locking caps, I'd lock myself out .

I was looking at various fuel door actuators, and think it's definitely possible, especially using units that don't mount directly on the rear panel, but instead have a long cable that locks via a pin. The actuator mounts elsewhere, under car or in the trunk. Next time I get the the yard, I'll grab some stuff to fab one up. The actuator might have to come from ebay, though. The design I'm looking at is kinda specific.

I know its no match for a crowbar, but neither is glass and I guarantee most of you lock your doors anyway. I want to fab something that is enough to "keep people honest" in a sense, like locking a door or trunk does.

Even though we are in a rural area, i swear we have a high theft rate. Almost all of our vehicles have had "lower than expected" fuel levels at one point or another but we couldn't prove it. I had a seized ignition cylinder and it had a full tank when I parked it. The class act even forgot to tighten the cap when we was done. To be honest, I'm getting paranoid about sugar or sand being next.

Anyway, If I do fab something up, would anyone be interested in a kit if i design one ? I could do both impala and monte (fuel door and hinge is different) I have access to both for fab purposes.
It wouldn't involve a new door, just riveting (or using christmas trees) a catch plate via the existing holes.
Rewire/modify your existing factory trunk alarm to include opening the fuel door. Don't ask me how.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:34 AM
1 Year Member

I didn't think we had a factory alarm. I've tried to set it off multiple ways and I never can. Either mines disabled or I never got one.

I looked behind the carpet in the trunk, there's a a factory grommet near the rear wheel well/fuel door inside the trunk. I think a unit that mounts in the trunk and moves a cable should work well. I could wire up a relay and switch without much trouble. At the worst, a modified trunk/door actuator could also work. Heck even a hood cable mounted in the trunk would work, I don't want to do that though because I'd have to open the trunk to open the fuel door manually .

I have been waiting for a functional switch to put in the cutout of the console. A traction switch with a custom decal would look nice. I'd either do that or hide a switch under the dash. Either way, I'll probably put a hidden indicator led somewhere.

I'm getting a better idea for a latch on the door as well. I think some bent aluminum flat bar with a brace brazed in should work well and be structurally sound. This could be easily attached to the fuel door via existing holes.

Note: If you attach steel to aluminum with current flowing, galvanic corrosion WILL occur. Ask the engineers at ford how I know (bad design on f150 ). There needs to be a barrier between the surfaces; paint, or rtv, etc.

All that I need to do now is head to the yard and play around a bit.

I have my eye on a few types of actuators. I'll keep you guys posted on what I find.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:40 PM
1 Year Member

Does anyone know what electrical connector GM uses for the c5 corvette fuel door actuator? GM p/n 10275633
It looks like a square connector, but I can't seem to find the p/n for the connector itself either gm or aftermarket. I;ve looked everywhere on the varius gm parts supply stores and ebay. Can anyone help ?