General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): List of issues on my Salvaged '02

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:44 PM
Monte of the Month -- December 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Metalsmith
Mine started stalling and got worse till you had to start by blipping the throttle and feathering the gas to keep running, cat glowed red hot...we swapped out everything and asked a guy to use his Tech II scanner ... when we started it up , he said shut it off.... pulled all the wires and gas lines up from behind the TB.... there was a big melted hole where the flex tube from the egr, goes into the UIM.... egr was stuck open and the hot gas from the exhaust caused a melt down.... ECU threw every find of code there was as it could not cope. Glad it did not melt into the TB water passage, as I have heard that cause a lot of grief... He stuffed a wad of duct tape in the hole and 3 patches on top and it ran like new back to the shop...but would not think that would last for long.... I replaced EGR and UIM.... replaced LIM gaskets while it was down ... runs great !!!
Im not very familiar with EGR or UIM. Have any pics of the hole/location of hole?

Old 08-12-2013, 08:06 AM

If you look behind the throttle body, you will see the EGR( exhaust gas recirculation)..... it has a stainless flex tube running out the bottom and it goes under where the TB bolts to the UIM ( upper intake manifold) Here is a pic of the egr tube and where it comes up under the lower manifold.

This is a good link to the fix... Change Upper Intake Manifold & Lower Intake Manifold gaskets : Engine

Attached Thumbnails List of issues on my Salvaged '02-luinspegrpipe.jpg