General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): List of issues on my Salvaged '02

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Monte of the Month -- December 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default List of issues on my Salvaged '02

Alright, so my '02 Monte Carlo SS/HS still has some issues and I just want to get them all out in discussion so I could get some answers. I apologize ahead of time if this post is under the wrong thread. Alright, so here we go...

Sunroof barely moves before coming to a stop. Makes a grinding type of noise but after further investigation, I noticed what I believe is the motor tends to turn slightly. Could it be just a loose bolt? Or motor?

Stalls frequently. When driving in town at low speed/rpm, the car will just shut down. I loose power, power steering, and the battery warning comes up on the Message Center (which I assume is normal, since I got my battery new for Christmas). Then I have to come to a stop, put it in Park, and fire it back up (Seems to always fire right back up). Also, when it's warmed up and the temp. gauge is at the halfway mark and I turn the car off and restart it, it either won't start or if it does, quickly shuts back down. Seems to always be the third try for it to start back up. I'm not sure if my transmission is the cause of any of this because I do know its time is about up.

Today, I was driving down the road with my Cruise Control set on 57 mph like usual, then I heard a really quiet snap. I pulled over in town and replaced the fuse. Then as I was on my way back home, I set it and it worked. Then about 5 miles later, it went out again. The green light stays on on the steering wheel, but can't set cruise control back on.

Some other minor issue are:
-Fans turning on/off at low temps.
-Broken plate on rear windshield for Rear Defrost, best way to fix?
-How do you get rid of trunk rattle from subs without loosing sound?
-Steering wheel slightly shaking while driving.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Any help towards finding solutions, I'd appreciate it greatly. Thanks!

Old 02-24-2013, 07:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My sunroof would stop halfway because it was all gummed up with old grease. I cleaned it all up and re greased it with some white lithium grease and it works fine now.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by lougreen03
My sunroof would stop halfway because it was all gummed up with old grease. I cleaned it all up and re greased it with some white lithium grease and it works fine now.
Mine barely turns up. Doesn't go back at all.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would definitely check the motor and the slides to make sure everything isn't blocked.

The car shutting off. Check and clean that MAF sensor, when hot starts fail I usually look to the MAF first. IAC is also a culprit (as well as the ICM)

Fans kicking on for no reason? Does the fan stay on after you shut the car off sometimes? That could be indicative that the sensor that tells the temp could be going bad and the fans go into a fail safe mode where they just stay on because they don't know the actual temp of the car.

Rear defrost, get a kit from an auto parts store.

You can dynomat the car to help with rattle, or just turn down the bass.

Steering wheel shouldn't shake, could be a wheel hub starting to go, could be a loose lug, could be the rotors, a suspension piece, etc. You are going to have to jack the car up and start moving everything.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:48 PM

One more thing. Just noticed the hud that shows gas mileage, temp., direction, etc. no longer turns on. Could that somehow be related to Cruise Control since they both went out at roughly the same time?

Old 02-25-2013, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I would definitely check the motor and the slides to make sure everything isn't blocked.

The car shutting off. Check and clean that MAF sensor, when hot starts fail I usually look to the MAF first. IAC is also a culprit (as well as the ICM)

Fans kicking on for no reason? Does the fan stay on after you shut the car off sometimes? That could be indicative that the sensor that tells the temp could be going bad and the fans go into a fail safe mode where they just stay on because they don't know the actual temp of the car.

Rear defrost, get a kit from an auto parts store.

You can dynomat the car to help with rattle, or just turn down the bass.

Steering wheel shouldn't shake, could be a wheel hub starting to go, could be a loose lug, could be the rotors, a suspension piece, etc. You are going to have to jack the car up and start moving everything.
I'll check it all out. But dont dynomats work a little too well? Dont they really drain the sound? And turn the bass down? C'mon, be real hah jk

Old 02-25-2013, 01:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I kept my system stock, I care more about my engine than the sound from the radio

The most I've done was replace a burnt out front left speaker.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by ..Scar'lette..
I'll check it all out. But dont dynomats work a little too well? Dont they really drain the sound? And turn the bass down? C'mon, be real hah jk
There are some brands that work better than others. I am fond of Raammat. Won't cut up your fingers either.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by ..Scar'lette..
Stalls frequently. When driving in town at low speed/rpm, the car will just shut down. I loose power, power steering, and the battery warning comes up on the Message Center (which I assume is normal, since I got my battery new for Christmas). Then I have to come to a stop, put it in Park, and fire it back up (Seems to always fire right back up). Also, when it's warmed up and the temp. gauge is at the halfway mark and I turn the car off and restart it, it either won't start or if it does, quickly shuts back down. Seems to always be the third try for it to start back up. I'm not sure if my transmission is the cause of any of this because I do know its time is about up.
I'm with Chibi here, a bad MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) will send your poor MC into all sorts of psycho fits of randomness. For the time being, I suggest unplugging the MAF entirely and run 'er for a while. If she doesn't give you any more grief (random dying, etc) then It's your MAF. You WILL experience some poor gas mileage while running with your MAF unplugged, as the ECU reverts to factory (assumed) maps and parameters, But you won't hurt your engine any. The Air temp sensor should also be replaced, it's less then $10. The MAF will run you a good $130 new. I know only because I ran through this problem on my Gen6 '01 MC SS. Been there.

(( EDIT: If you live in a very cold climate, you may have trouble starting your MC when she's dead cold. In that case, plug the MAF in, start 'er up, then unplug her again. Even while the engine's running. Again, I stress you WONT hurt your engine any by running without your MAF plugged in. The ECU will rely more heavily upon MAP sensor readings and Factory (assumed) parameters and maps. ))

The fuse being blown repeatedly sounds like a short, honestly. Meaning I'd be curious what they (previous owners) were doin' tinkering behind the console. Only time I ever crawled up there was to install my Remote start. I'd start looking for any Shorts, most likely somethings simply grounding out against the frame somewhere. I'd start under your dash, drivers side.

o7

Last edited by TarShan; 02-25-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 PM

When my car did the whole stalling thing it was all from my CAT being bad. If what the others said doesnt work check that out.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): List of issues on my Salvaged '02