General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Lightweight hoods.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Default Lightweight hoods.

Any of the second generation owners out there know of a light weight hood available for our cars? Or has anyone tried some extra lightening processes? So far I've removed the interior/ power bench seat and rear seat to install a lightweight race seat and harness w/ bar. And managed to remove 50 lbs from the backside of the front bumper.. maybe time to do the rear? Still think the car is a couple hundred lbs too heavy. I wouldn't be surprised to roll onto a scale and see close to 4k lbs with me in it ( 200 lbs ).

Old 12-23-2007, 12:55 AM
Default RE: Lightweight hoods.

VFN Fiberglass makes both cowl induction and stock-looking, bolt-on hoods. US Body also makes cowl induction and stock-looking, pin-on hoods. VFN is cheaper than US Body. I've done some research into this because a fiberglass stock-looking, bolt-on hood is definately going to be installed before I decide to get my car painted.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:15 AM

dont know much about that year, but im sure it didnt come with aluminum heads for the motor... i know it isnt cheep, but get a set of AL heads...not only will this take a major weight of the car it will give you more power too!... for even more drop in an LS series motor like a 5.3L or something....yes this is crazy but deff will help weight... not sure if you have power windows or not... switching to crank and loosing the power motors will help too...

im assuming this will still be a street car or i would say get plexi and make the side windows from that!

-AL radiator
-wheels and tires
-AC delete
-maybe an electric fan instead of the motor driven one (pic up one at a junk yard off some newer car...)

Old 12-24-2007, 12:31 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

One thing about using an electric fan versus a manual engine driven one most people don't take into account is that yes the eletric fan may weigh less then the steel fan blade on the end of the wapter pump. But removing the manual fan in favor for the eletric one is that now the alternator is doing more work. More work means more load put on the engine to power the electric fan. Is there any savings here?

Possibly but I'm yet to see a certain yes or no in favor of one fan.

Sure you will have people tell you all day long the electric fan is better. But is it?