General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Launching

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 01:09 AM
Default Launching

I was racing tonight and I was stalling the car up to about 2500. Will this hurt the tranny? I dont think it will but if it is hurting the tranny I wouldnt want to do it.

Thanks
Steven

Old 11-04-2007, 05:41 AM
Default RE: Launching

[align=center]Hi Steven,[/align][align=center]Abuse anything to much and it will abuse you back.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I don't think afew power brake launches we fry your tranny,[/align][align=center]but if you did it on every take `off, I'm sure you would[/align][align=center]be replacing your transmission.[/align][align=center]It's the gamble you take for the `fun of drag racing[/align][align=center]Abuse your Monte, & she will abuse you.[/align][align=center]Love your Monte, and she will love you back.[/align][align=center]Wanta Race ? LOL[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Steven, did you win ? [/align][align=center]Post your results, your story.[/align][align=center]Below is from Dragtimes, [/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Drag racing, a contest between two cars beginning from a complete stop over a distance of a 1/4 mile (1320 feet) depends heavily on first 60 feet of the race, or the launch. The technique used for launching varies greatly depending on the how the car is equipped. The type of transmission, which wheels are being driven, tires, power, suspension and track preparation all play key roles in how to go about getting the best launch possible from the car.[/align][align=center]Improvements on the time it takes for the car to travel the first 60 feet down the track have significant implications on the final ET (estimated time). As a general rule, improvements in the 60 foot time, are magnified by 2x on your final ET. For example, a Dodge Viper GTS that runs a 12.2 @ 120 MPH in the 1/4 mile with a 60 foot time of 2.0 can make significant improvements to it’s 1/4 mile times by obtaining a better launch. If the Dodge Viper GTS is able cut .2 (two tenths) of a second off it it’s 60 foot time, by covering the first 60 feet in 1.8 seconds, it’s final ET for the 1/4 mile would be around 11.8 @ 119 – 121MPH. More examples can be found by searching through the thousands of 60 foot records in the http://www.dragtimes.com drag racing database.[/align][align=center]The best possible launch is obtained by obtaining the optimal balance of applying the most amount of power to the ground with the least amount of wheel spin. If too much power is applied during the launch and the tires spin, the resulting 60 foot time will be poor. The same goes for not applying enough power, thereby causing the car’s engine to bog, and having the car limp off the line slowly.[/align][align=center]When launching a car with an automatic transmission, a technique called power braking is used. After properly staging the car at the drag strip’s staging lane, tightly hold down the brake with one foot, while slowly applying the accelerator peddle with the other foot. The car’s engine RPM (revolutions per minute) should slowly increase to a point where the car will either start to move or start spinning the tires. Hold down both the brake and accelerator peddles just below the point where the car is starting to move or spinning the tires. When the christmas tree lights reach the last amber light before the green, lift off of the brake and slowly push the gas peddle all the way down. The correct RPM to launch at will be different every car depending on all of the variables mentioned earlier. Start conservative with the first launch and keep increasing the RPM at which the car is launched at during the subsequent runs. If the car starts spinning the tires after the launch, lower the launch RPM and try again.[/align][align=center][b]When launc

Old 11-04-2007, 06:32 PM

I was at a local car meet and a couple of guys wanted to run me so we went to this back road and lined up
I ran a cavalier on nitrous
A turbo mazda 626
and a stock RX-8
I beat the cavi by about 3 cars
I pulled the 626 until about 50 then he passed me
and I beat the rx-8 until about 60 then he passed me
pretty good for a stock monte

Old 11-05-2007, 09:28 AM

You should be alright, I did it with my Firebird all the time and nothing ever happened. Even when it got to higher mileage still shifted like new and ran like new. I wouldn't say do it a lot in 1 night, but getting on it and running the car hard every now and then ain't nothing wrong with that.