General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Engine Build: Large Rebuild Idea

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 03:44 PM
1 Year Member
Question Large Rebuild Idea

What's up guys. I've got a 2000 Monte SS and a buddy of mine and I were just talking one night about how he wanted to put his truck in the garage for awhile until he gets a stable job and good income (We're both 20 and in college) and rebuild a lot of it and make some changes. Basically redo it completely so it'll be sharp.

This sparked my interest about my own car. It's got about 134k miles and some very small, unnoticeable rust in the wheel wells and a little bit in between the drivers door and front quarter panel. It's got a few other random little issues with it but it's still my baby.

Anyway, my idea is doing the same thing as my friend. Putting her in the garage for awhile until I can afford to do her up really good, but what I really want to know is how hard would it be to make my Monte rear-wheel drive? They're such long cars that I think a rear-wheel drive Monte would be absolutely sick with a big loud engine (don't know a lot about them obviously). Is this possible?!

My friend that wanted to garage his truck said it's possible but would require a lot of modification? What do you guys think?

Old 08-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

[ but what I really want to know is how hard would it be to make my Monte rear-wheel drive? They're such long cars that I think a rear-wheel drive Monte would be absolutely sick with a big loud engine (don't know a lot about them obviously). Is this possible?!

My friend that wanted to garage his truck said it's possible but would require a lot of modification? What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

While this exact topic has been hashed about here on the forum in quite a few threads, we have concluded it is possible. One or 2 individuals have done this. Another is presently under modification, but will be an off chasis build.

Guess it will depend on your fortitude, mechanical aptitude to do this. it has been speculated to being able to be done from $5,000 to I say $10,000.

You Tube link to rear wheel drive 6th gen Monte:

Old 08-05-2014, 12:51 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
[ but what I really want to know is how hard would it be to make my Monte rear-wheel drive? They're such long cars that I think a rear-wheel drive Monte would be absolutely sick with a big loud engine (don't know a lot about them obviously). Is this possible?!

My friend that wanted to garage his truck said it's possible but would require a lot of modification? What do you guys think?[/ QUOTE]
While this exact topic has been hashed about here on the forum in quite a few threads, we have concluded it is possible. One or 2 individuals have done this. Another is presently under modification, but will be an off chasis build.

Guess it will depend on your fortitude, mechanical aptitude to do this. it has been speculated to being able to be done from $5,000 to I say $10,000.
That's awesome! The Monte in that video was sick.
Do you know what modifications people on here thought would work?