General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

L67 vs L36

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 04:57 PM

so to fix that small lag issue in the L67 you just need a PCM tune with adjusted shift points etc?

I want my engine to last as well, and I remember reading, from one of Bumpin's posts I believe, that a stock L67 with produce some KR, so I suppose once I get this car it would be a good idea to invest in the 3 basic bolt-ons to reduce KR, 180*T-stat, CAI, and a 3 inch downpipe. That should be all the modding I will want to do, just enough to unlock the car's potential with no or minimal lag, through all powerbands.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:37 PM

so to fix that small lag issue in the L67 you just need a PCM tune with adjusted shift points etc?
See, this is why I really don't like the word 'lag' to describe it. The slow shifting and response of the transmission can be fixed by programming, but its something that practically every car has from the factory. They keep the pressures lower, and don't do 3-1 skip shifts and stuff from the factory to extend the transmission's life. While this isn't as responsive as a performance minded person may like- its something the average person is ok with and never notices.

But really though- you had virtually the same transmission before- so you already know how it responds for the most part- and really you had most of the same engine- so I'm sure you know it isn't exactly pulling like a formula 1 car over 100 mph.

I want my engine to last as well, and I remember reading, from one of Bumpin's posts I believe, that a stock L67 with produce some KR, so I suppose once I get this car it would be a good idea to invest in the 3 basic bolt-ons to reduce KR, 180*T-stat, CAI, and a 3 inch downpipe.
Honestly, on a stock L67- KR is not a problem. Yes, there will be KR (just like with any car, if the car doesn't have KR every now and then, then that means that the pcm isn't trying to push the limits on timing to make the most power- and thus defeats the purpose of PCM adjustable timing vs a distributor). You're not going to chip a piston on the stock supercharger pulley- so there is absolutely zero worry. If you just want the engine to be as reliable as possible, just don't rape on the car- do proper maintenance, run premium fuel, and it will last a long time. There are plenty of stock L67's that have hit 200k miles with all kinds of carbon buildup and sludge and crap that comes with old age- and produces tons of KR, and I've never seen one with a chipped piston.

Just to show you that there is no real 'boost lag', here are some videos of various L67's to check out:

This one is probably the best- its from about 55mph to 110mph- and you can see the second he floors it, boost shoots straight up and holds. Actually, the 'lag' from the boost is far less than the 'lag' from the transmission downshifting and unlocking the converter (watch the tach compared to the boost gauge- he's at full boost before the downshift is even completed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCOwkp9i0MI

This is a video of someone rolling into the throttle out of the hole, as you can see- as soon as they hit WOT, the boost jumps instantly to full:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4r8c...eature=channel

Another rolling vid (although not as easy to see)- the car basically stays out of boost, but you can hear the second he nails it- full boost follows VERY quickly (obviously he just blips the throttle, but it gives a good idea of how quick the response of the supercharger really is):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWfHP...eature=related

edit- also obviously, you won't have the blower whine from the factory- you need to remove the stock airbox to hear it AT ALL.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:15 PM

Thanks a lot for the videos Bumpin, there doesn't appear to be any real "lag" or "delay" at all, maybe a split second, but that's more than tolerable for me. I won't be racing the car every day, it'll be a daily driver for me with the occasional stop light race, that's all.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:24 PM

Exactly why I didn't like the word. It makes people think of a big T76 non-BB on a supra taking until 5000 rpm to hit full boost. Most of the benefit of a positive displacement supercharger is the instant-boost.

You will have fun driving it compared to your old car, even stock.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:13 PM

i have a question, why is it that a GTP seems to have way more get up and go then a super charged monte. do they have different gearing or something?

Old 04-18-2010, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Quatermain N/A SS
It's a 2004 Monte Carlo supercharged with 19,000 miles, barely used, almost brand new. It's $14,500, think I'm going to buy it. Thank you for outlining the differences between the two motors, I was hoping Bumpin would bump in on this thread and give me the whole low-down on this question, now I feel well informed.
So long as the car is in as good condition as described, you'll be very happy. I always thought the L36 was a big sluggish in the SS. I'm still loving the L67 I dropped in my '03 - great pickup now, not too much though. Just the right get up and go when I need it. Better gas mileage than the L36 with the gearing, and the HD trans feels smoother than the non-HD one ever did, at least as I recall. If you don't want to do a full CAI install, a drop in K&N filter works well in these as you may already know. If you have a PepBoys close they have Mobil-1 on sale with the M-1 filter - 5 quarts and filter for $30 until the end of the month. First thing I always do with a new used car is an oil change so I can see what the oil in it looks like. The PepBoys deal is the way to go!

Old 04-18-2010, 11:34 PM

Little lighter? Gearing is still 2.93 in the HD trans. They do also have a 'performance mode' switch on the shifter to make the trans shift quicker and higher- but its not a huge difference.

Once you hit the 04+, I'd say its the extra power- they're 260 hp instead of 240 like the monte and older GTP's, but they're heavier too so I think it about evens out.

I always thought the L36 was a big sluggish in the SS.
Never could figure out why they waited so long to do an L67 in the monte SS, they had the L67 in the GP's from 97. I realize Pontiac was supposed to be the higher performance division- but heck, even detune the pcm on the monte and make it 230 or 225 hp or something.

If you don't want to do a full CAI install, a drop in K&N filter works well in these as you may already know.
I don't think the K&N drop in panel filter will let you hear the blower whine though- and IMO if you're going to do any intake modification, you may as well open it up to hear the whine when you floor it.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 04-18-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:43 AM

Quatermain N/A SS

Sent you a PM.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:42 PM

My ex wife and I had a 98 Grand Prix with the L36 that we bought new and it felt pretty powerful. It actually seems like it felt like it had more power than my 2004 Supercharged Dale Jr Monte. I would say that the lower gearing of the L36 car made it feel stronger.

It sounds like a nice car you are buying and I think you will be happy with it.

Wayne