General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Keyless Entry / Alarm FOB and receiver

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Keyless Entry / Alarm FOB and receiver

Does anyone know where the receiver is located for the factory keyless entry on a 2002 Monte SS?

I've got a very strange problem that seems to be receiver related not transmitter. In the mornings I can barely disarm the car (sometimes I just can't do it at all and have to use my key) yet in the afternoons when it's hot out I can disarm from a good distance away just fine. I'm thinking there's something wrong with my antenna or receiver system, but I have no idea where to even look for it.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:23 PM

Hope this helps:

Removal instructions:

1. Remove the instrument panel (IP) upper trim panel.
2. Disengage the receiver retainers from the IP upper trim pad.
3. Disconnect the receiver electrical connector.
4. Remove the receiver.

Install instructions:

1. Connect the electrical connector
2. Engage the receiver retainers to the IP upper trim pad.
3. Install the IP upper trim panel.
4. If a new remote control door lock receiver is being installed, synchronize the transmitter using the stock radio.

Here is are links to a places you can get a receiver:

Used:

http://car-part.com/

New:

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/online/P...exID=1W1004101

Old 08-18-2010, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member

Awesome!!! Thanks so much for the info. I'll check out my receiver this weekend! =)

Old 08-20-2010, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member

Well I got the receiver out. It's actually not too difficult to get to. The dealer must think they are gold. My local dealer wanted $113 for this thing. I'm going to try and see if I can get lucky at a wrecking yard.

Here's my overheated little unit. Looks like the Arizona sun has taken a toll on it. LOL

Old 08-22-2010, 05:44 PM

i am starting to have the same problems with mine i have new batteries in my key fob still nothing and my warrenty only covers the power train not what i experencing. where did you find out where your moduel is suburbiangiant? i have a 07 model.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:52 AM

I'm starting to have this same issue. In the instructions it mentions taking off the "upper trim panel". Is that the surround that goes 2/3 of the way across the car?

And then, where is the receiver located?

Old 12-08-2017, 04:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When sitting in the car, it is the trim between the windshield and the dash pad.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:01 AM

Okay, so I'll ask this question again here, since I still haven't gotten an answer anywhere else.

How do you get the panel off when there's no room for a wrench between the dash and the windshield; and, on the same subject, how do you get the "A pillar trim" off when that trim is also the door trim and the B pillar trim?

Old 12-09-2017, 08:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I will attempt to do my best. I have also provided screenshots from the GM shop book. I know one of the screen shots shows an Impala dash, that is because the shop book is for both the Monte and Impala and the part removes the same way on both.

The A-pillar, I assume that an 06-07 Monte is the same as the 00-05 Monte. I've removed this piece more times than I car to say on my car and cars in the junk yard. Even though the shop book claims a torque spec for it, there are no screws/bolts (assuming that from 00-07 it's the same part). It is clipped in, and if it's pulled wrong, easy to bend or snap the plastic retaining tabs on the actual trim piece. But, pull forward on the pillar. The part of the trim that goes between the roof and the door, pull down. Yes, it goes tuck under the trim panel behind it, but the plastic of the a-pillar trim is only under it for 1/2-1 inch and the trim is flexible enough to manipulate it safely out without having to battle that other trim panel.

The dash piece between the windshield, GM called the upper piece, this should have no bolts or screws as well. You might benefit from nylon/plastic pry tools to assist in gently popping the first of the retaining tabs up. After that, you should be able to reach your hands in and gently pop the rest up, disconnect the sensor on it and out it comes.

The dash pad, I have removed mine at least once on my Monte and a couple in the junk yard. I do not recall using any special tools, but size can be critical.As 96z34man mentions "there's no room for a wrench between the dash and the windshield". There is just enough room, for the right tool. The head of your ratchet can be a critical player. So if you have a modern Craftsman ratchet which has a somewhat like tear drop design, which has a large head on it, this may create problems. I know Harbor Freight tends to sell some ratchets that have smaller heads on them that might help. The other issue is as the bolt comes up, you loose space. If your ratchet begins to be an issue, you might be best switching for a wrench to finish the job.
As I mentioned, I have taken a couple dash pads out. If I recall, the best way to get those bolts in the front is with a 1/4 ratchet and socket. By nature, the 1/4 ratchet should have the smallest head on it to fit in that space and the sockets typically have a slightly lower profile.

Attached Thumbnails Keyless Entry / Alarm FOB and receiver-pillar.jpg   Keyless Entry / Alarm FOB and receiver-dash-upper.jpg   Keyless Entry / Alarm FOB and receiver-dash-pad.jpg  
Old 12-09-2017, 08:24 AM
Thumbs up

Great instruction Maniac. You sir, ROCK!!!

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry / Alarm FOB and receiver