General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

I got me a free turbo monte - pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Default RE: I got me a free turbo monte - pics inside

I will just say the same as all the rest GREAT FIND!!

I would not get rid of it that is defently a fixer uper. and it looks to be pretty complete for the turbo etc...

Space a 3.8 is a V-6 so yeah they were around back then.

But that buick motor they are talking about and that one in that car is the EXACT same motor as the Buicl GRAND NAT. I would defently hng on to it. they are not easy to find at all.

As for the trim peice they are not to hard to find it would be the smae for any of those cars in that year if your talking the lower stuff under the door the wide chrome. Those are actually pretty common. the one in the middel of the door if i remeber right were just a glue on and not to tuff to come by either. Just take a peice off so you have something to match up and go to a auto body supply house and they will sell it in rolls if not there are several shops that sell after market stuff now for the monte carlos.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:25 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

the one in the middel of the door if i remeber right were just a glue on and not to tuff to come by either. Just take a peice off so you have something to match up and go to a auto body supply house and they will sell it in rolls if not there are several shops that sell after market stuff now for the monte carlos.

Another thing to consider. If you can't findthe exactside trim remove all the original, then buy a roll of similar aftermarket trim and use it on the car. So it all matches.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If I saw the pics in the other thread correctly, he's missing the lower chrome piece on the door.

He's got different pics in the new members section.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:37 PM

yeah i hear ya but he also has this for sale in the sale section for 1500.00

So i guess if he sells the car it wont make a diffrence. If not he has a car that is worthy of restoring . LOL

Old 09-04-2008, 08:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Nice find! The Big Guy was looking over you that day! Definetely a rare car. Looks like a pretty easy restore.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:50 PM

As I get further into this car... I ain't selling it!! lol

Not gonna worry about the chrome right now as i'm gonna strip it bare and repaint it. It has some surface rust but no holes anywhere in the body.

The undercarriage has lots of surface rust but same deal no holes and nothing major... some day i'll strip the car to the frame and get it blasted and powder coated.

I got a new water pump for it now and its in, replaced the 2 back wheel cylinders so now I have brakes .

The rear diff is getting popped tonight and new limited slip fluid put in after a bath of the parts... i'm not familiar with these rear ends but do they require any special fluid or just a friction modifier? The fluid in there now is very dark in color but still stinks like gear oil.

I'll post up a vid after of it running and some new pics once I get her polished up.

Decided to put a 12" electric fan on it for now till I can find an OEM type belt driven one... maybe pick-n-pull tomorrow afternoon... hmmm

That's all the updates for now... i'm just dying to take it for a boot [sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 09-06-2008, 10:16 PM

Got everything done and hooked up tonight other then the wide open exhaust LOL.

Took her for my very first 3.8L turbo test drive.... I have only 2 words to describe this cars performance... Holy and Crap!!

I pulled up at a set of lights beside a brand new mustang gt... he revved a few times so i was game.... light turns green and he gets about 20-30ft ahead of me so i bury the pedal into the floor and hear the 4bbls open up... turbo starts to spool and all of the sudden BAMMMM full on boost is holding my **** into the back of the seat like my old S10 did with a 400sbc in it. Goes without saying.. I whooped his Ford *** bad!!

Good god this car is gonna be sweeeeeet when it's actually tuned up... hell the plugs have been in there for 10yrs and the cats plugged and she still goes like a stuffed pig [sm=gears.gif][sm=gears.gif]

Old 09-07-2008, 12:58 AM
rj
15 Year Member

Wonder how he felt getting whipped by a 27yr old car?

Old 09-07-2008, 01:21 AM

All i saw in the rear view mirror was a "flying bird" LMAO.

I love the sound of that turbo coming on... like a small jet engine ready to Git-r-Done

Old 09-07-2008, 03:10 PM

here is the funny thing they all seem to think these cars were slow LOL
even stock they had some kick to them. After a good tune up and opening it up some so it can breath and get it out threw the headders it will kick you in the tail more then it dose now.