General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

- How many `miles on your Monte Carlo + Problems ?

Old 09-28-2015, 02:31 AM

'04 LS, Silver - purchased new (by my late husband and oh, how he loved this car!) in early '05. 42K easy miles. Body in great shape, no rust. Seal at top of driver's door is splitting, but no leaks (yet?).

Repairs: Replaced battery two years ago. Ignition switch and a tail light replaced last summer. 2 new all weather front tires last Fall. Transmission and engine seem just fine. Oil changed regularly per recommended schedule.

Current Problems: Kind of high pitched sound when going up a (very) steep, long hill near my house. The noise is definitely related to giving it gas to power up the hill. Does not seem to be affecting performance and others have said they've had sounds like this. So I am doing nothing.

On steering wheel, the area to turn on cruise control has an indicator light in there and the black paint somehow started coming off, causing the light to bother me when driving at night. Solution: Bought a bottle of black nail polish at the Dollar Store and painted three coats over exposed areas. Also used same black nail polish to paint over and seal the split window molding above the driver's window.

I am about to have the brakes/rotors replaced in November for State Inspection. Since last week the exhaust sounds louder than it used to. I don't know what that means - muffler going bad? (Do cars still have mufflers? I went onto a car repair website and tried to find a price range in case I need a new one. They don't even list mufflers. Instead it was something about exhaust system, right & exhaust system left.)

I am naïve about cars, got taken for way too much for the ignition switch and am grateful I found this forum. Thanks to all who post and answer questions! It is really appreciated.
Donna

Old 09-29-2015, 04:42 AM
Default DonnaAnd Resonator?

I have noticed that the resonator often goes bad. Is the exhaust sound closer to under the front seat or towards the back. The resonator is up close to the cat which is close to the engine.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:47 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I haven't been on this thread in a bit.
My monte is now at 148,xxx almost 149,000. The miles go up pretty fast since it is my daily driver still. Hoping that may change next year.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:06 PM
Default How many miles?

Just over 112,000 on my 2002 SS

Bought the car new in 2002. And it's been my daily driver. I do all my own maintenance. I only use Mobil1 10w30 and AC Delco oil filters. Still runs strong.

What have I repaired or replaced?

Brakes, went with drilled and slotted all around, 2 batteries, 2 sets of tires, plastic coolant elbows with the Dorman aluminum ones, upper intake twice. First time for the dreaded coolant leak, second when my cat clogged and melted a hole in it, while on the highway in Wisconsin in the middle of nowhere, WHILE towing my fishing boat, new cat with first a Walker replacement, now with a Magnaflow, new exhaust, Walker Dynomax Turbo, trans fluid and filter twice, new plugs and wires, replaced the MAF sensor, and finally had to replace 1 taillight bulb, all still factory originals.

Current issues are a balky electric door lock, works sometimes, bulbs out on my climate control, and the dreaded rusty wheel wells.

All in all it's been a great car and has let me down only once in 13 years.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:09 AM

Cool hand .... Need your help wirh a question /suggestion.
I've had my 01 since purchased as a left over in 01. She had less than 3,000 on her this month I just hit a 101,000 since that time I have gone thru 4 Cats(all OEM).first went at 14,000,2nd at 29,000(under orig warranty) my other 2 under an extended warranty @ 50,000 & 4th is pulling the cat code. What cat would you recommend since Chevy has no idea why she goes thru them. I think that it's due to my Monte having the stage 3 SLP package that I had installed in 03 by Chevy. Thank you for any suggestions oh should I have them check or replace the EGR since I have gone thru so many cats???

Old 10-04-2015, 03:59 PM
Default 2002 Monte Carlo LS 234,008 Miles

2002 Monte Carlo LS. Bought in Dec 2013, I believe I am the 3rd owner. 234,008 Miles so far Replaced EGR, Radiator Fan, fuel filter, Replace the very badly clouded headlights. So far that's it.

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums - mudmnster's Album: Garage - Monte - Picture

Last edited by mudmnster; 10-04-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bellyisis
Cool hand .... Need your help wirh a question /suggestion.
I've had my 01 since purchased as a left over in 01. She had less than 3,000 on her this month I just hit a 101,000 since that time I have gone thru 4 Cats(all OEM).first went at 14,000,2nd at 29,000(under orig warranty) my other 2 under an extended warranty @ 50,000 & 4th is pulling the cat code. What cat would you recommend since Chevy has no idea why she goes thru them. I think that it's due to my Monte having the stage 3 SLP package that I had installed in 03 by Chevy. Thank you for any suggestions oh should I have them check or replace the EGR since I have gone thru so many cats???

Bellyisis,

That's a tough one to answer. Why is your car going through so many cats? There must be another issue, like running too rich? Mine had the factory cat which finally plugged up back in May, but the car did seem to run poorly for a few months before that, just a lack of power. I just figured it was age.

I installed the Walker replacement, which has the u-bend, and the car ran like new. Just 2 weeks ago I decided to go with the Magnaflow which does not have the u-bend and I can tell a difference in the exhaust tone and maybe a little more power off the line, but not remarkably different.

All of the GM replacement cats have the u-bend I believe, so maybe with your SLP set-up you need one without it. So far so good with the Magnaflow, no CEL yet. I have heard of issues with the ZZP cat. Maybe others can chime in with their experiences.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:10 AM
Default 2003 Monte Carlo SS

Hey, I have a 2003 Monte SS Black on Black, ive had it since day 1. it has 110,250 miles on it. I am having an issue with starting, i go to start it i get a clicking noise thinking it may be the starter, but then all the dashboard lights come on and the message center starts circling through its messages: Low Fuel, Security, Low Tire Pressure etc,. Question "Is it my Starter, Alternator or BCM? What should I do?, I do not have a Mechanic I can trust, i've done all the work on the car myself except for the recall on the steering Column Box.

Monte owner

Old 10-10-2015, 07:56 AM

I had a o1 that would not start change out the ignition switch first then go from there

Old 10-10-2015, 08:04 AM

I totally forgot all about since it was so long ago , mine did that 10 yrs ago. I'd have to dig up the receipt but I believe it was either the control body module or a similar item to the "brain" of the car. I remember my service advisor joking about brains

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: - How many `miles on your Monte Carlo + Problems ?