General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

- How many `miles on your Monte Carlo + Problems ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:07 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow you guys have got some miles on your cars. My 1996 Grand Prix has 120k

Last edited by Mels SS; 01-16-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:29 PM

Have a 2004 SS got it with close to 116K last feburary, it is close to hitting 121K. Problems the car had when I got it, a solenoid for something to do with the fuel, pressure control solenoid in transmission needed replaced, transmission seals. Cooling system was flushed, mechanic changed transmission fluid and filter. Upper and lower intake manifold gaskets were changed less than a month after I owned it. O2 sensor in the muffler went last year, O2 sensor on the motor went out last week. Needs brakes and rotors, both front wheel bearings are going to need replaced, and it sounds like shocks and struts are going to need replaced. I can't complain though because it has been a good car to me.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:49 AM

2004 Monte Carlo SS with 140,xxx miles on her and still going strong!

So far i have had to replace all 4 struts with new ones and put all new brakes on the front. upper and lower intake manifold gaskets have been replaced. Currently having a solenoid going out of my tranny (or at least i think thats what it is). Getting that fixed this summer along with all new rotors drilled and slotted on all four. Heat shield has always broke lose over the Resonator of the welds and raddled but fixed that before it went in storage.

Cant complain Ive had it for over 4 years now and the things that have gone wrong or will go wrong usually happens around the miles I have on it so I really cant complain! I love my car. Id honestly keep my car even if i won the lottery

Old 01-23-2013, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by 16With01MonteSS
Just went over 250,000!!! still runs like a damn champ only have fixed the Oil pan within the last 16,000 miles.
I have an '04 with 255,000+ miles on it!!

Old 01-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Default 255,000+ and counting!!!

I have an '04 MCSS and now that I think about it besides the regular stuff oil changes etc...my intake manifold has been done 3 times (this time I'm using metal gaskets screw that nylon crap) my shift solenoid replaced, both hubs, the cooling elbows blew 2 times, thermostat replaced and one accident (a Toyota land cruzer just floated over into my car not my fault) tie rods & 2 tune ups...I thinkl thats about it. I do need struts all around, intake done AGAIN UGH

But like everyone else I cant complain this is the BEST BY FAR Chevy I have EVER OWNED!! I LOVE my MONTE CARLO!!

Old 01-23-2013, 05:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2009

A little over 66,000 on my 86 SS. I do all of my own work. Only thing i have done to it is swap out the 305 for a bigger motor. Obviously it does not get driven a whole lot. Cant wait for some warm weather get it out and have some fun in it.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:09 AM

GAWD!!! WHAT A POS MINE HAS BEEN.............

'03 LS with the 3.4L. currently at 197,000 miles. i did want to make 200k but i have changed my mind. it's time for it to go.
list of things gone wrong.

1. rusty sludge build up in the cooling system, almost from the beginning. dealer flushed it three times before the warranty was up. to this day it has rusty sludge in the cooling system.
2. been thru 3 power steering pupms
3. transmission started slipping at 90k miles. i changed the filter and fluid and added some trans x to it. it worked for a short while and started slipping again. still slips.
4. a plastic mud guard between the engine and the passenger wheel flapped and beat on the power steering lines until it had beat a hole in the two of them. patched them with rubber hose and clamps.
5. i have replaced the water pump twice.
6. replaced the radiator once and it needs it again right now.
7. replaced the cooling fans.
8. replaced the leaking upper and lower intake gaskets at 135k miles. they are leaking again.
9. unclogged the EGR passage to the throttle body plenum, 3 times.
10. the rear defrosting tabs came loose. i sldered them back and now they're off again.
11. the heater core is currently mostly plugged up. i guess thats better than leaking.
12. had 2 fuel injectors replaced under warranty.
13. the engine started burning oil at 45k miles and currently uses about one quart per thousand miles of driving.
14. there is something wrong with the front end and it's not the struts or the control arm bushings. i'm thinking it's the rack and pinion.

there are a lot of things about this car that are to be commended but someone will have to start a thread for that one.

all in all, the day my '03 Monty finds a new owner will be a very happy day in my life.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:37 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member

Currently at 60,650 2004 ss supercharged

Here's the nightmare of a list..

passlock problems. dreaded 'security' light
needs new supercharger-drive belt tensioner
needs new belts
going to need new coolant elbows soon
needs new power steering pump(sometimes locks up..)
random ABS light/trac control off
random hesitation at startup in freezing or below temperatures
suspension has its wear-n-tear
needs all new suspension parts in rear
needs calipers all around (rusted)
front bottom caliper slides frozen to caliper. (still removable from bracket for greasing)
cracked/scuffed/worn tires(needs new)
1 new tire, but complete garbage. (halfway worn already)
needs new brake lines(rusty)
needs minor underbody work(minor surface rust on rocker pinch welds)
needs a tune-up
has oil buildup under engine, no idea what it is or were its coming from.

still better than the list that was piling up on my 93 buick!
I do alot of my own work, to an extent. Anything major like shocks/struts, coolant flushes, trannyflushes, engine internals, or hard to get stuff without removing millions of things are big no for me. Lacking strength/tools/lifts makes it a bit difficult. brakes, tuneups, suspension parts & engine oil changes I can do though

Last edited by Red Nightmare; 02-02-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

I used to have a 2003 Monte Carlo SS; yellow high sport. Great car. Commuted 5.5/6 years of my undergrad in this car and, in turn, rolled 150k miles on it and that thing still drove like new. Took great care of it; definitely didn't show its mileage or age at all. Had a rear wheel hub and original battery go on me. Upgraded the struts and springs at 75k miles; replaced the spark plugs and wires at 100k; half shafts, ball joints, and lower control arm bushings (complete control arm refurbishment) at 148k. Replaced the tie rod ends and fuel filter at some point in there. All routine part replacement, a few recalls. Then some lady made a left hand turn in front of me at an intersection and totaled the s**t out of it...

Name:  DSC_7024.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  218.4 KB

I now have my 2006 Monte Carlo SS. Purchased (two weeks after my 03 was totaled) in October of 2010 with 61k miles and it currently has 83k. Drove during my last semester of undergrad, through the winter the first year I had it and it has been stored winters since then. Upgraded the exhaust at 78k miles; struts and springs at 80k. Original battery went on me at 83k miles. Has been in for one recall since I've had it. I absolutely love this car.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 02-02-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:59 AM

2004 Monte Carlo SS 3.8 S/C

104,057 Miles

0 Problems

Own work so far. But soon as I decide to cam and tune, shop it is lol

Quick Reply: - How many `miles on your Monte Carlo + Problems ?