General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Hood liner

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:46 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
A couple years ago, a local car show had a Chevy SSR that had a mirror hood liner. I couldn't find the owner to ask what material he used. But it looked like chrome in person. They even had the "SSR" etched into it.

Just to give you an idea. Maybe get Monte Carlo, or SS printed on your hood liner for an added touch.
That looks like polished mirror stainless steel I think, its just bent and cut, and it looks great! I think Ill go with a vinyl though.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:54 PM

unfortunetly the underhood looks almost as bad! It wasn't painted very well, it appears to have grey primer on it. I've tried compuound and polish on the outer portion, but it's an aweful dull color under the hood.
Its because the underside of the hood isn't 'finish painted'- it gets completely covered- so the only paint that needs to be there is a primer to seal it from rusting. That's just GM trying to save money- I'm sure it wouldn't add more than another $100-150 in time/materials per car to fully spray it with a color and clear- but thats just one of thousands of steps to try and slightly reduce the cost of the car- especially since no one cares anyways if its painted or not. Anyone who's going to seriously show it and remove that will either cover it with something else (like mirror) or have it professionally finished- you already have a nice solid base to paint over.

so you guys are saying it did make the car louder outside without the hood liner?
A very little bit- its not a major difference, the engine bay isn't really sealed from the outside anyways- but it does allow the sound out easier. Same with removing the engine cover- the foam underneath it seems to dampen the noises of the valvetrain and such.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:58 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Stupid gm, they could have atleast covered it all in a base, so its not a 2 color hood. I dont care if it isnt cleared lol. Looks like I have another project haha.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Its because the underside of the hood isn't 'finish painted'- it gets completely covered- so the only paint that needs to be there is a primer to seal it from rusting. That's just GM trying to save money- I'm sure it wouldn't add more than another $100-150 in time/materials per car to fully spray it with a color and clear- but thats just one of thousands of steps to try and slightly reduce the cost of the car- especially since no one cares anyways if its painted or not. Anyone who's going to seriously show it and remove that will either cover it with something else (like mirror) or have it professionally finished- you already have a nice solid base to paint over.

A very little bit- its not a major difference, the engine bay isn't really sealed from the outside anyways- but it does allow the sound out easier. Same with removing the engine cover- the foam underneath it seems to dampen the noises of the valvetrain and such.
okay cool, my engine cover didnt change the sound any, but it is a little smaller than most, but maybe ill try pulling the thing out

Old 06-08-2010, 07:22 PM

Yeah, just take it off, itll make you car get about 10 more horse power with the lessened weight.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:22 PM

I kid.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

hmm i know some cars like vettes can have nice hoodliners made

does anyone know if montes can have something like that made?

Old 06-09-2010, 08:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Old 06-09-2010, 09:14 AM

I hate people with clean engine bays.

They make me envious. So envious.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:14 PM
rj
15 Year Member

I'd like to find one. One that wasn't $250.

Quick Reply: Hood liner