General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Hey, looking for help. <QUESTIONS>

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Default Hey, looking for help. <QUESTIONS>

Name is Tyler and im looking for some tips to improve hp and overall sound of my car.
I have a 2002 monte carlo SS and about 900$ to spend and I want to know the best way to go about this.

I first was looking at exhaust systems and came across these two...
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...;x=41&amp;y=10
BORLA CAT-BACK EXHAUST SYSTEM and DYNOMAX SUPER TURBO DUAL EXHAUST SYSTEM
Price difference is about 450 dollars so I need to know which is really worth it, im leaning towards Dynomax is that a bad idea?
What else can I add to increase the sound to make my baby roaaaAAARRRRrr?

On a side note, im looking at sound systems too.. anyone know of a non-expensive place where I can find a good box and subs?
All input is greatly appreciated guys.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Hey, looking for help. <QUESTIONS>

You can always go to Short Circuit City or Best Buy for decent prices of fair quality sound system parts. Crutchfield.com will have about ANYTHING you need stereowise.
Forget the exhaust unless you want to change the sound of your car. Little performance gains. The 2 best things you can do for a N/A 3.8L is replace the air box with a cold air intake, like the K&amp;N or Wizaired. Next replace the U-bend exhaust pipe with a U-bend delete pipe. Anything else from here will start getting radical and expensive. Such as a cam kit, or ultimately a turbo. You can always consider doing a L67 swap. (That's what I did. I swapped my black 01 SS LE for this black 04 Intimidator SS.) I don't think you can do a swap for $900 unless you come across a GREAT deal on a used motor/trans combination.
ZZPerformance.com is probably the #1 source for anything performance oriented for Montes or GPs, but there are others as well, as youve found out.
Good luck to ya!

Old 11-14-2008, 06:27 AM

I want the sound of the car to sound good, so an exhaust system sounded like the way to go.
I hear great things about the K&amp;N Intake, and its pretty cheap too?? SO I think I will put that in for sure.
Doing a swap might not be in my budget, what else could I put in beside a turbo to generate some hp?

Old 11-14-2008, 10:18 AM

putting an intake and exhaust on your car would make your Monte sound pretty mean but its going to run you more then $900. You have to remember, you pay for what you get. I would save up a little more and do it right! As for the audio, if your looking for good deals keep an eye on craigslist, there's always people trying to get rid of stuff there and you can find some damn good deals.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:50 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i had a dynomax cat back and was not pleased. it just wasn't loud at all. i coudl rev up at people and they wouldn't hear me. the cat back from dynomax comes with a glasspack to replace your resonator. i ended up having the rear mufflers chopped out, it's loud as crap now and it can be heard!!!

i'd say magnaflow for a good combo of loudness but not waking up a neighborhood, many hear like slowmasters but i'm not too keen on them myself.

also, it will be hard to do because nobody wants to mess with it, but find someboyd who can cut your u-bend out. menieke or something like that won't do it, they're too "by the book" to mess with it. i used to have a whole article on exhaust systems but the forum crash in june deleted alot of it.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:51 PM

Thanks alot for the suggestions guys, I think I will end up going with the dynomax exhaust and K&amp;N. As for the stereo I will keep an eye on craigs list and go from there, thanks.