New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

A few new small additions to the Monte Today

Old 08-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Talking A few new small additions to the Monte Today

So I kept myself busy yesterday & today with a few new additions to the Monte, First I added this new K&N Intake 57-3045 - K&N 57 Series FIPK, Performance Intake Kit <--Link And All I have to say is, YES! Everything is muchhh better Response, HP, Sound, Look, (Not sure about fuel mileage yet, but i'll take anything lol). Fairly quick/easy install.

Next I added the SS emblem to my grille (Thanks Frank)

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o..._6944852_n.jpg

Love the look better than the old chevy symbol

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o..._3484470_n.jpg

I also put two Hifonics 12's in a dual slot port box. Sounds pretty good how I have it set up. Pictures are posted Below

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o..._5117052_n.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o..._6596127_n.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone

Last edited by oh3monteSS; 08-12-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When did you buy the K&N, I thought I talked you out of it???

Old 08-12-2011, 02:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I hate to rain on your parade, you may wanna take that K&N CAI back. It's more of a "Hot Air Intake". Chibi has a lot of experience with it:
- The box to keep the hot air out is steel with no insulation (metal conducts heat easily, hence why electronics have metal fins on parts to move heat).
- Where the snorkel comes into the box is a HUGE hole to let heat in.
- No lid on the box
- Chibi actually had the plastic snorkel develop damage from heat near the throttle body.

For the money you spent on it, you could get a Wizaird from ZZP (which is much better):
ZZ Performance

In talking with Chibi, he said this was one of his first purchases for his Monte and he wishes he could go back and change that (at this point it's a dead issue, his next plan is turbo charging and the intake takes another change).

If you are intent on keeping the K&N setup, I would look into insulating the box (which would allow you to remove the gap around the snorkel). Home Depot sells for like $10 what appears to be the same bubble style insulation used in the Wizaird.

Again, sorry to rain on your parade.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:30 PM

I got a super good deal on it. And I guess I completely forgot that we had words about the K&N.... Is it really that horrible?

Old 08-12-2011, 03:35 PM

15 Year Member

It really is just a glorified hot air intake. That's why it's not even called a CAI from K&N. If you noticed they called it a K&N FIPK (fuel injection performance kit).

What happens is that the heat from the engine can get sucked in, and that makes your intake air temperature sensor read high because the air is hot and that forces the PCM to pull timing from your car so you actually LOSE power.

The throttle response that you gained from the no restriction air-flow just feels like more power.

If you got an AMAZING deal (like $100) then it's okay. Try to work on shielding the filter from heat. But if you paid $200 for this thing, I would try to return it and spend that $200 on a wizaired CAI system.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:59 PM

I Paid $115 shipped for it. I couldn't pass it up... Any suggestions of a plan to try and make the situation better?

Old 08-12-2011, 05:11 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Well it looks good - you can try and fab a different surround for the filter, possibly a lid for it.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by oh3monteSS
I Paid $115 shipped for it. I couldn't pass it up... Any suggestions of a plan to try and make the situation better?
Absolutely! As I mentioned, if you go to Home Depot, look in the insulation isle. If it's like mine, that have a package of insulation that looks like bubble wrap. Pick up a pack of that (looking at what I saw, one pack should be enough for 1-2 layers in the K&N box). Get something to attach the insulation to the metal box (possibly liquid nail). Cut and glue it in. When you get to the panel that has the hole for the snorkel to come in, make the hole in your insulation smaller (and I would probably make large fringes around the the snorkel to "seal" insulation around it).

As for a lid, you might get away with buying a piece of plexiglass and cutting it to fit on top of the box, two screw/bolt holes and put matching holes in the top radiator rail (so you can make it stationary).

Possibly wrap that insulation around the snorkel itself (not sure how well they will hold up, might need to look into a different material).

That's an off the head first thought. Not sure if anyone else has more input. I'm guessing my ideas are about $20-$30....

Old 08-12-2011, 11:42 PM

couldve made a fwi :P lol

Old 08-13-2011, 07:54 AM

15 Year Member

Not everyone wants a FWI :P

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A few new small additions to the Monte Today