General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Headers?

Just curious, anyone put headers on a N/A 3800? If so, any noticeable gains or is it just overkill for a naturally aspirated engine? Too, opinions on a flashed ecm from 3800performance.com?

Old 04-18-2015, 01:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

-Headers, not really a great bang for the buck unless you get used headers. The only ones reccomended for basic bolt on L36's are the S&S headers due to their smaller size- all the rest of the headers are designed for use with modded L67s, and you will lose bottom end with them.

-PCM tuning, can be a decent gain depending on the company who does the tune- it can vary wildly. Basic 'canned' pcm's they send to you have the least gain (they have to set up on the safe end- but only run $100 and get rid of many annoyances with torque management and also get rid of the top speed limiter. A custom tune, or buying your own tuner (~$400+) is kindof out of the scope of someone doing basic bolt ons to an L36. It would give more power, but you have to consider the cost compared to other options.

If you get in touch with someone that does tuning it is better than the store bought. I had mine done by :: Overkill Motorsports :: and love it, Will is a great guy and does a good job, and basically the same price as the store bought tunes you get

Old 04-18-2015, 07:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 597Ryan
Just curious, anyone put headers on a N/A 3800? If so, any noticeable gains or is it just overkill for a naturally aspirated engine? Too, opinions on a flashed ecm from 3800performance.com?

I installed speed daddy headers on my 2005 monte carlo SS Supercharged 3.8 , I pulled them back off after 2 months. because of the drone noise inside the car going down the hiway at 60 mph..It was fine going around 30 to 40.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member

Headers are a must if you want to continue modding your Monte. They increased the performance for my Monte a bit and I recommend them unless you're planning on going turbo. Then you'll need turbo manifolds.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ohara
-Headers, not really a great bang for the buck unless you get used headers. The only ones reccomended for basic bolt on L36's are the S&S headers due to their smaller size- all the rest of the headers are designed for use with modded L67s, and you will lose bottom end with them.

-PCM tuning, can be a decent gain depending on the company who does the tune- it can vary wildly. Basic 'canned' pcm's they send to you have the least gain (they have to set up on the safe end- but only run $100 and get rid of many annoyances with torque management and also get rid of the top speed limiter. A custom tune, or buying your own tuner (~$400+) is kindof out of the scope of someone doing basic bolt ons to an L36. It would give more power, but you have to consider the cost compared to other options.

If you get in touch with someone that does tuning it is better than the store bought. I had mine done by :: Overkill Motorsports :: and love it, Will is a great guy and does a good job, and basically the same price as the store bought tunes you get
Thanks for the info! I'm not all that familiar with custom tuning, but if i were to get a tune from Overkill, would they just need my ecu or would they need my monte? Also, what does that service run as far as price?

Old 04-19-2015, 10:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

headers are not needed and almost useless on a N/A car. only benefit to headers on a N/A car is looks and sound

Old 04-19-2015, 01:17 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 597Ryan
Thanks for the info! I'm not all that familiar with custom tuning, but if i were to get a tune from Overkill, would they just need my ecu or would they need my monte? Also, what does that service run as far as price?
Will can send you a new pcm, or you can send him yours. He doesn't need the car only the pcm. If he has access to your car then he can do an in car tune while you are driving and give you the best performance, but I think according to his website he is in the process of moving to British Columbia at the moment, but is probably there by now so the in car tune makes it difficult. If you tell him what you have done for mods he can adjust the tune according though. He is a very smart guy with these motors and will set you up right. The price is around $150 I believe.

I would send him an email and let him know what you have done, and what you are going to do and he will give you some great advice

Old 04-19-2015, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ohara
Will can send you a new pcm, or you can send him yours. He doesn't need the car only the pcm. If he has access to your car then he can do an in car tune while you are driving and give you the best performance, but I think according to his website he is in the process of moving to British Columbia at the moment, but is probably there by now so the in car tune makes it difficult. If you tell him what you have done for mods he can adjust the tune according though. He is a very smart guy with these motors and will set you up right. The price is around $150 I believe.

I would send him an email and let him know what you have done, and what you are going to do and he will give you some great advice
I guess I'll send him an email at that price! Sorry for my ignorance in this field, but the PCM the computer located in my air cleaner, correct?

Old 04-19-2015, 02:43 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

No need to apologize yes the pcm is located in the air box under your air filter. You may also be further ahead to pick up a pcm at a junkyard and ship it to him, but again it may be cheaper if he gets one for you.