General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Guide to replacing 6th gen AC Condenser

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Guide to replacing 6th gen AC Condenser

Hey Guys,

My AC Condenser has to be replaced. I was wondering if there is a guide that I can use to replace it myself or has anyone replaced theirs and can list the steps?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Not sure anyone ever made a guide for it, but if they did, it should be in this section:
FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

I did replace mine a year or two ago myself (and then had a mechanic friend of mine charge it). Process is pretty easy. Here's a general run down:
- Drain your coolant from the radiator (there is a drain that I believe takes a 19mm socket on the back driver side of the radiator).
- Remove the dog bone mounts and connecting radiator mounts on top of the radiator core support.
- Disconnect and remove the radiator fans.
- Disconnect the radiator hoses (may need to take them out).
- Disconnect the trans lines. Some years use standard fittings and some years (like my '04) you have to remove cover and a retaining clip for an "easy off" fitting. GM insists on changing that clip and DorMan sells a replacement, even though they hold the line, the cover will never slide over it again. A GM Mechanic I know said you can re-use them if they are not bent/rusted or otherwise damaged.
- There is a plastic cover holding the connection for the A/C lines on the condenser. Remove the coupling and separate the connections.
- Remove the bolts holding the brackets keeping the radiator in the car, lift everything out.
- Seperate the radiator and the condenser.

If I recall, the radiator and the condenser are clipped together (it's something like lift the radiator to separate the two). But I believe I took my radiator and condenser out together as it was easier.

Now, re-installation is pretty much the reverse of this. DON'T FORGET to replace the o-rings and seals for the connections with the condenser and a/c lines. I had a pain finding the right ones (I ordered what I thought was right from RockAuto and one of two were right, I found a "kit" from the local parts store that had a TON of a/c o-rings and seals that had what I needed).

Hope this helps.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:58 AM

Thanks Jason. This helps out alot.