General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

GM reaches Tentative Agreement with Union : )

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 01:20 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: GM Auto Workers STRIKE

it might have been a ford plant somebody was telling me about... but all this guy did was assembly work. maybe my dads boss got some bad information, but he knows a guy who works at Ford. it could be a case of exagerration, but $60 an hour was what i heard.$30 an hour is a little up there to take an air wrench and tightne 5 lugs too in my opinion, thatsp robably a good $13-14 an hour job and maybe a 401k

Old 09-25-2007, 01:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

The UAW knew that GM was posistioning itself to make a run at Toyota when they pulled this stunt.

The rewards should come after the victory, not during the game planning.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:37 PM

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

The unions put my dad out of work for 6 months for a strike when we were young.

In 1975 he was already making 26 bucks an hour.

They drove us to bankruptcy needless to say.
$26 per hour in 1975? Doing what?? My uncle took an early retirementfrom GM in 1971, after 17-years at the Kansas City, Kansas assembly plant, and was making$5-something per hour at the time. He's still going strong at 80, andlives on a 300-acre ranch in southern Missouri. Not long ago, hetold me thatthe pension he receives from GM is currently about $90 per month.

I was working as a flight instructor and charter pilot (small aircraft) in 1975, and earned $7.00 per flight-hour. In 1976, after learning that Iwould never be hired as an airline pilot due to a depth-perception problem, Igave up on aviation and became a police officer. As I recall, I started at around $800 per month, which translates to $4.65 per hour - which wasn't bad at the time.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:06 PM

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...925?hub=Canada

Not just the people striking suffer.

Might I remind you that I make $13 per hour before taxes and dues and health care plans I cannot use. At least after 20 years of service, I get a 40% pention. I get 25 days of paid vacation tho, which is very nice, but the only benefit.

Pretty lame for my line of work.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007

Well, I was going to stay out of this, but...

Actually the UAW is a very good thing for the workers, and American workers out-produce the foriegn competion. So while it is true that a small percentage of UAW workers, (goof off, get drunk, and totally screw up), the majority are hard working people trying to make a good living for their families.

Now, GM and its management. Most salary employees work their tails off to make a little less than the hourly workers on the line. Those folks are the REAL HEROES of the company!!! Themanagement, and especially executive managementis too much a game of politics, Nepotism, and plain old "good-ole-boy networking",and MOST DO NOT deserve their job andthe OUTRAGEOUS salaries they make!!! There are, a few exception, who are extremely talented individuals who have a gift for making things work -- let's put these talented individuals in a class of 1% or less.

As far as the Strike... Hate to see it, but needed...

Old 09-25-2007, 03:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: gale155

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

The unions put my dad out of work for 6 months for a strike when we were young.

In 1975 he was already making 26 bucks an hour.

They drove us to bankruptcy needless to say.
$26 per hour in 1975? Doing what?? My uncle took an early retirementfrom GM in 1971, after 17-years at the Kansas City, Kansas assembly plant, and was making$5-something per hour at the time. He's still going strong at 80, andlives on a 300-acre ranch in southern Missouri. Not long ago, hetold me thatthe pension he receives from GM is currently about $90 per month.

I was working as a flight instructor and charter pilot (small aircraft) in 1975, and earned $7.00 per flight-hour. In 1976, after learning that Iwould never be hired as an airline pilot due to a depth-perception problem, Igave up on aviation and became a police officer. As I recall, I started at around $800 per month, which translates to $4.65 per hour - which wasn't bad at the time.
My father(God rest his soul) was blessed to workin Hollywood for I.A.T.S.E. Local 33 Stage Hands Union, a member of the AFL-CIO,during a time wheneveryone made "Stupid Money."

He worked at every major TV and movie studio in Hollywood bringing home an average $1500 a week including over time.

When they would get "Legitimate Theater" calls whichconsistsof workinglive productions like Broadway shows, Emmies, Academy awards, he was easily making $30-$40 an hour for side money.

He worked once all summer at Universal Studios as a special effects technician in the mid 70's for $26 an hour doing the "Jesus Christ Superstar" stage show at the amphitheater 8 hours a day, 6 days a week.

When he worked on the soap operas he would get double time after 8 hours and triple time after 12 hours at a base rate of $17.50 an hour.

The union took about 15% of everyone's income. But they got greedy and went on strike for 6 months and drove us to the broke house.

(Of course he did have an issue with throrobred racing.)

Old 09-25-2007, 03:43 PM

I see...thanks for the response.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

MCF Members,
How long do you think the GM Strike will last ?
Please vote in the poll & see what other member's think.
Thanks/Peace 2 all,
`Space

Old 09-25-2007, 07:06 PM

Well I'm already seeing effects of the strike. My car went into the dealership on Saturday to have the remote distance thing fixed, the "service tire monitor system" message fixed, and my key was sticking in the ignition switch. I called today to see if it was done yet and they said they are still waiting on parts, and said that it had something to do with the strike. I miss my car

Old 09-25-2007, 08:11 PM

hey.. I had that key thing too.. PM me and Ill send you a pic of what is going on. Great.. Just when my monte has to go in for parts.. Dammit!

Quick Reply: GM reaches Tentative Agreement with Union : )