General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Future Plans

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 08:58 AM
1 Year Member

Keep reading until the final paragraph. For those that don't frequent the off topic section, I have yet another project to steal my time. But this one will be independent one day. No it's not a baby Good guess, though...
Update:
Every once in a while, I feel the need to re-evaluate my ideas and plans in life. I'm re-evaluating my "future plans" from the first post, adding humorous (not the bone) comments along the way. Let's see what kind of progress I made, shall we ? I'm sure some of my crazy ideas need to be eighty-sixed, and some may be more possible with my new "project". Comments from an older, more mature version of myself in bold italics. I'm glad my grammar has improved.

Under Hood

General Plan: polish what will look good polished, paint what would be overkill if polished

Good call, shelock

-Make FWI (relocate pcm with blazer mount)
Done, albeit without the blazer mount. Good call on the blazer mount.

-polish or anodize aluminum tubing
-eventually

-Coils from S/C 3800
When I find at JY, there's more bang for the buck to be had elsewhere

-Install front/rear strut braces (paint to match red body color)
-I have a promising idea to make mounts from aluminum; I'll test it before opening my big mouth. [Let's just say that I have NEVER read of using this method on any car forum.] (I'll test it on a couple w-bodies that are in the family first)

I still never tested that idea, but I really need my new "project" in tandem with this idea to make anything sizeable from aluminum, anything thicker than plate.

If it works, I would gladly make some for you guys, pretty cheaply if I can keep costs down on my end.

I still will, I keep my word when I give it.

-Paint fender braces
Still on my list

-make polished aluminum ones eventually.
Not sure if this is worth the time, I was REALLY into the aluminum, apparently. Painted flat bar steel would work, however.

-polished intake manifold (port/polish while at it)
-Polish TB while off
Still on my list, a polished intake manifold looks amazing. I really dislike the sand texture.

-polished valve cover(both if I have the patience)
Would tie in with the polished intake, good call younger self.

polished aluminum engine mounts
-from venture van, I have head some GP's may have these as well.
-(maybe) polished aluminum dogbones from early w-body.
-attempt to get engine to sit forward 1"

I found these mounts, just need time to reshape them to fit. Honestly though, anodized red or black would look better than polished, especially with adjoining steel dog bones. Glad I got over the fully polished kick.
Good call on the forward engine, these mounts would about do that, alone on the 3400.

-Bushings for upper engine mount/dog bones.
-replace lower engine mount with solid or poly.
This needs done sooner than later, these are well worn and in combo with a worn tranny mount, I get occasional shift "clunks"

-Painted calipers, rotors
No, polished F-body calipers and zinc plated rotors...

-Add fog lights
Yes and bypass the BCM so I can use them with "highs", off road of course

-paint bezels body color or black
What bezels ?

Is that enough polished aluminum under the hood ? I'll decide when the time comes. If not, I'll polish the alternator housing.

No, that was too much, if I may respectfully disagree with myself. I'm a loon...

Interior

General Plan: Black and gray scheme to match dash and door panels

-Tasteful under dash led lighting
-blue or green
Maybe white leds, with some blue. Better yet, RGB with a bluetooth color selector.

-leather shift ****(GP or bonneville)
How about custom molded shift **** made with fimo or sculpey clay? Then paint or vinyl wrap...
I bet it's possible to use the "frame" of the **** and clay over it. If not, remove enough plastic with a dremel to have a skim coat of clay over it. This would need reinforcements to hold it on though. Baking temp may be a problem for the handle as well. I've never baked clay, or even a shift ****. I smell trouble, as it needs 275F.

-custom made shift boot (made by me using oem as template)
-black with gray stitching to tie interior together
Good tasteful call, use same material as sunvisors to tie interior together.

Window tint is going to be necessary with the added black.
I agree

Replace carpet with black from monte
Yep, just gotta fit seats first.

redo headliner with black material that doesn't have fuzz ***** like oem
-either remove the one oh Sh*t handle or add one to the pass side, looks goofy with one.
Good call on both. Black flat knit headliner would look tasteful.

Install black/gray leather (manual) seats from a tiburon (already have them and they will fit, after i make a bracket)
Yep...

-they are from a coupe so I don't lose any functionality, they are very light and hold you in place better than stock. The rears will fit, but I may have to get fancy with the side plastics; the seat is about 2" less wide overall. As far as height, I'm not worried, they'll fit.
I LOVE the height of the fronts!!! Short people won't, though. It feels like an older sports car, like you're sitting on the floor.

Before I do anything to the interior A newer seal is getting installed to the cabin air filter, I had one random leak one time and have never trusted it since.
Done. That leak caused more electrical issues than I thought, apparently.

Exhaust
General plan: Cheap, but effective; lower tone

-remove resonator
Car didn't have one when I wrote this

-maybe put glasspack in it's place
MAYBE, but only if it's slightly louder with NO drone

-muffler that gives better tone (heard good things about FM 40 series)
-eventual y pipe addition
-remove u-bend
Maybe, I have a small exhaust leak behind the cat, I kinda like the tone with it. When the cat goes, or the hole gets larger, I'll go u-bendless and catless for off-road purposes of course. My car loves the trails... Right, EPA ??

It was fun to look back and rethink some of my old "plans". Right now my transmission mount and engine bushings take precedence. Also, I need to install a condenser, as I have low pressure on the high side with normal to slightly high pressure on the low side. I hear compressors are FUN, but I'm NOT paying 1k+ for cold air.

Edit:
I forgot the Pièce De Résistance. See why I'm not in charge of the surprise party ?

My "new" project as seen in the off topic thread, is a smallish(max 24in x 24in x 6-8in H) homebrew CNC machine. I found a lot of the necessary parts in my old seat bracket, oddly enough. I may get lucky enough that the seat motors would work, but I doubt it... I do want to utilize as many "car" parts as possible, as a theme and to keep cost down, even if they are higher maintenance than their stainless equivalents. Maybe use some brake lines to supply air and/or coolant to keep the bit free of debris. That would be cool .
I also recently disassembled some laser printers keeping some usable parts, there's a possibility that I could make interchangeable "rigs" for the y-axis. Maybe an all-in-one CNC, laser engraver, with eventual 3d printing capabilities. They all use most of the same hardware, possibly just different software.
I have to find some approved safety glasses before messing with the lasers. Maybe some welding goggles
If I get this working correctly, I'd gladly share the plans. To me the steepest learning curve is going to be in the software and calibration.

Last edited by Scott_S; 05-21-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:14 PM
1 Year Member

Update:
Replaced the transmission mount and the front sway bar bushings and end links. Made a world of difference in the steering. The back has a higher tendency to sway during sharp turns now though, they'll have to be changed soon, along with adding strut tower braces.