General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

I am thinking about getting a 2005 SS

Old 07-11-2016, 04:13 PM
Default I am thinking about getting a 2005 SS

First let me thank you all for the knowledge that you share. I have found a lot of very useful information here and I am hoping that you all could help me out one more time. I am thinking about getting a 2005 supercharged SS. I was wondering if the supercharged 3800 still had the intake manifold gasket issue or if that was resolved, and how do the transmissions hold up? I have never had a supercharger before, is there anything I should lookout for? Is there anything else that I should be aware of before I buy? The car looks like it was taken care of in the past. Thank you again for your time and knowledge.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have a2005 Monte carlo Supercharged SS
I have no problem with it 98,000 miles.
It did had a new engine at 16,900 miles.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Engines are very strong but I believe still had the lower intake gasket issue. Trans is hit and miss depending how it was driven but generally above 80k miles I feel your doing good.

Other than that the normal stuff, rockers rusted out, rear struts towers rusted out, etc.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:43 PM

The supercharger is not a big deal for reliability. It is designed to last a long time with no maintenance. About the only common issue is the plastic coupler going bad inside the snout but it's a cheap and easy fix. It also has its own oil supply that you should change (but it is very infrequent, nothing like engine oil).

My biggest concern with supercharged cars is modding history. Look at the SC pulley and bolt to see if it looks like it has been removed before. I wouldn't touch an l67 that has been modded without further investigation first.

Search this Thread