General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Funny Story.... So I recently replaced my Pads and Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Funny Story.... So I recently replaced my Pads and Rotors

I honestly Wish I had taken pictures to prove this, Even the guy at NAPA did not believe me.

So I recently replaced my pads and rotors all the way around.
4 new rotors, 8 new pads.

It had been about a month and all was going well, I was doing about 120 clicks (75 MPH for you Yankees) down HWY 401 (thats what you would call an Interstate LOL) and ran into dead stop traffic, myself and all the cars around me slammed on the brakes.

I hear a clunk and a screech from the rear passenger wheel. "what the F&#K was that?"... Well I'm stuck in traffic for close to an hour and can't do anything, by the time i got home i was in no mood to deal with it. So now while driving my Rear Right brakes squealed like SOB. I put up with it for about a week before finally getting the time and motivation to do anything about it.

I pulled off rear passenger wheel and removed the brake caliper only to find a HUGE gouge all the way around the rotor, it was a fairly deep ring in a perfect circle about a quarter inch from the outside edge of the rotor.

Next I pulled out my Pads, and the Inside pad against the piston is severely cracked in multiple places with a matching score mark just in from the edge of the pad. Lined up perfectly with ring on rotor. On top of that, the steel backing to the pad was actually bent or warped. My assumption is some piece of debris manged to get between my pads and rotor.

So I put my old pads and rotors on. Drive to parts store and explained what had happened. Didnt believe me, accused me of purposely destroying the parts. So after much back and forth i convince them to replace pad and rotor free of charge....EXCEPT they will only exchange the Pads in a Full set. So back to the house I go, remove drivers side pads, return to store and got a new passenger side rear caliper and a full set of rear pads.

LONG STORY SHORT: I recently destroyed my new pads and rotors, now my rear brakes have been replaced twice in less than a months time. Got a free refund after arguing with sales clerk.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:25 PM

Glad they got you fixed up
I thought it was going to be bad as soon as I read NAPA but that's just my bad experience

Old 07-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad they fixed your issue but that is crazy that would happen.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

In today's day and age, something like that should never happen. Well at least I like to think it should never happen anyways lol

I do know all about the stop and go traffic on the 401, there have been many times I have been going through Toronto and right around where the 400 dumps out you have to slam the brakes on because they have too many lanes coming in to not enough lanes and traffic just stops. I do love it though when there is an accident in the west bound lanes (or east depends on which way you are going) and yet traffic is stopped in the east bound lanes so that people can rubberneck and see if anyone was hurt

Old 07-07-2014, 08:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Default Why ddin't they...........

Originally Posted by Henderson21
I honestly Wish I had taken pictures to prove this, Even the guy at NAPA did not believe me.

So I recently replaced my pads and rotors all the way around.
4 new rotors, 8 new pads.

It had been about a month and all was going well, I was doing about 120 clicks (75 MPH for you Yankees) down HWY 401 (thats what you would call an Interstate LOL) and ran into dead stop traffic, myself and all the cars around me slammed on the brakes.

I hear a clunk and a screech from the rear passenger wheel. "what the F&#K was that?"... Well I'm stuck in traffic for close to an hour and can't do anything, by the time i got home i was in no mood to deal with it. So now while driving my Rear Right brakes squealed like SOB. I put up with it for about a week before finally getting the time and motivation to do anything about it.

I pulled off rear passenger wheel and removed the brake caliper only to find a HUGE gouge all the way around the rotor, it was a fairly deep ring in a perfect circle about a quarter inch from the outside edge of the rotor.

Next I pulled out my Pads, and the Inside pad against the piston is severely cracked in multiple places with a matching score mark just in from the edge of the pad. Lined up perfectly with ring on rotor. On top of that, the steel backing to the pad was actually bent or warped. My assumption is some piece of debris manged to get between my pads and rotor.

So I put my old pads and rotors on. Drive to parts store and explained what had happened. Didnt believe me, accused me of purposely destroying the parts. So after much back and forth i convince them to replace pad and rotor free of charge....EXCEPT they will only exchange the Pads in a Full set. So back to the house I go, remove drivers side pads, return to store and got a new passenger side rear caliper and a full set of rear pads.

LONG STORY SHORT: I recently destroyed my new pads and rotors, now my rear brakes have been replaced twice in less than a months time. Got a free refund after arguing with sales clerk.

Why didn't they send that Blue Talking Barrel along with you, to give you directions?????????????
I have had my experiences with NAPA too. I know the owner of our local store, We had a few differences but his son and mine were run around friends and he always took care of me. Don't buy no Paint from these guys it's terrible stuff. Good Story!
Hope you have better luck this time.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was shocked to see the major scoring on both the rotor and the pad
Like I said I wish I had pictures. Though I agree, with today's mechanics and such close tolerances between the pads and the rotor I would never have thought anything could work it's way in there. Whatever it was it did some damage.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Henderson21
I was shocked to see the major scoring on both the rotor and the pad
Like I said I wish I had pictures. Though I agree, with today's mechanics and such close tolerances between the pads and the rotor I would never have thought anything could work it's way in there. Whatever it was it did some damage.
I had something break off in a rear drum one time and I backed up the stupid thing locked up on me and I had to clear the damage before I could move the Car its always fun to work on a vehicle when your on a Highway. Then there was the time I had a new exhaust system put on my car. The dealers tech did a terrible job, I hung to low and caught on the Tracks a A RR crossing then it stretched the thing when I went over it. So I had to crawl under the thing in a bad part of town only thing I could repair it with was Coat hanger wire, I got it jacked up enough to drive down the road. Every time I hit a bump the thing would drag and spark. I removed all the exhaust system and replace it with new. My Neighbor owned the Dealership that did the work, ( never take a Chevy to a Ford place for service work). I took the stuff they replace and laid it in his driveway. And Said if you send me a bill I will tear it up. Sometimes you just got to do it yourself.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:28 AM

Wich brand were the pads??