General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Front wheel drive information?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 12:04 AM
Default Front wheel drive information?

I bought my 05 LT over a week ago and I have some questions. I've looked all over the web, but couldn't find any info regarding my front end. This is my first FWD car, so I have a few questions:

1. Do both wheels have power similar to having a LSD or T-Lok?

2. Is it a 7.5 front end? Again, I'm not familiar with what the parts on FWD cars are called. I'm used to saying 7.5/8.8 rear end, so I assume it's called the front end.

3. Are any of the 7.5 or 8.8 GM gears compatible with my car?

I appreciate any help. Thanks

Old 08-02-2016, 12:30 AM

For a FWD car, the transmission is actually a transaxle. There is no separate differential on modern FWD cars. This is why the engine is sideways in the engine bay. Because of this, the GM gears are not compatible with any FWD GM vehicle.

In most cases, both wheels do get power. Most of the Montes (and most W-bodies in general) have a 3.27ish (I don't recall the exact ratio number but I think it's close), whereas the performance models, such as the Monte Supercharged SS and the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and GXP, have a 2.92 gear ratio. The ratio is changed through use of a chain instead of actual gears like those of us who primarily deal with RWD are used to.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by SupplySgt
For a FWD car, the transmission is actually a transaxle. There is no separate differential on modern FWD cars. This is why the engine is sideways in the engine bay. Because of this, the GM gears are not compatible with any FWD GM vehicle.

In most cases, both wheels do get power. Most of the Montes (and most W-bodies in general) have a 3.27ish (I don't recall the exact ratio number but I think it's close), whereas the performance models, such as the Monte Supercharged SS and the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and GXP, have a 2.92 gear ratio. The ratio is changed through use of a chain instead of actual gears like those of us who primarily deal with RWD are used to.

Hope that helps.
Thank you for the explanations. Helped tremendously

Also, how would I go about obtaining a 4.10-ish gear ratio? Can you tell me what the part or parts are called? A 4.10 chain, maybe (I know I probably sound silly)? Thanks for being patient with me.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:04 PM

In response to your first question, the stock differential is technically not an LSD, it's just a normal open diff. You probably won't ever be able to tell the difference in a stock power car unless you end up with the wheels on drastically different friction surfaces (ie one tire on dry pavement, one in a puddle of water).

There are aftermarket differentials that are limited slip, but the cheap clutch type ones don't work well, and the decent ones are horrifically expensive ($1k+). Examples are the Quafie and GM Racing torsen.

As for getting a 4.10 ratio, that would have to be custom made as no one has ever put in gears that steep that I know of. The highest drop in ratio I've seen is a 3.69 - accomplished by buying the drive chain and two sprockets. It's not a simple job as he trans has to be pulled and torn down. You may as well do a full trans rebuild if you're that deep into it.

Part of the reason no one goes with that steep of a gear is because it doesn't work well for high powered cars. Even stock l67s and ls4 cars have traction issues in 1st with a 2.93, and it would be much worse with 4.10s. That gets worse on modded cars because traction in 1st just gets incrementally worse.

On the other end, 4th gear isn't designed to hold full throttle, so you'd also be limiting your top speed during a run. You'd basically be limiting yourself to 2 long gears.

The other caveat here is that these transmissions aren't particularly robust, especially stock. Certainly there are places that build them, but many of the best parts aren't even available anymore. Just something to think about before you get too deep into it.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
In response to your first question, the stock differential is technically not an LSD, it's just a normal open diff. You probably won't ever be able to tell the difference in a stock power car unless you end up with the wheels on drastically different friction surfaces (ie one tire on dry pavement, one in a puddle of water).

There are aftermarket differentials that are limited slip, but the cheap clutch type ones don't work well, and the decent ones are horrifically expensive ($1k+). Examples are the Quafie and GM Racing torsen.

As for getting a 4.10 ratio, that would have to be custom made as no one has ever put in gears that steep that I know of. The highest drop in ratio I've seen is a 3.69 - accomplished by buying the drive chain and two sprockets. It's not a simple job as he trans has to be pulled and torn down. You may as well do a full trans rebuild if you're that deep into it.

Part of the reason no one goes with that steep of a gear is because it doesn't work well for high powered cars. Even stock l67s and ls4 cars have traction issues in 1st with a 2.93, and it would be much worse with 4.10s. That gets worse on modded cars because traction in 1st just gets incrementally worse.

On the other end, 4th gear isn't designed to hold full throttle, so you'd also be limiting your top speed during a run. You'd basically be limiting yourself to 2 long gears.

The other caveat here is that these transmissions aren't particularly robust, especially stock. Certainly there are places that build them, but many of the best parts aren't even available anymore. Just something to think about before you get too deep into it.
Thank you for all the information you provided. I think the 05 3.8 n/a comes with a 3.29 ratio. After reading what you posted about the ratios, I think it's perfect.

I appreciate everyone's help. Been learning a lot on these forums the past couple of weeks. Thanks again!