General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

friend looking at a 97 ls

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Default friend looking at a 97 ls

OK so he found this ls on the side of the road and i just looked at it, didnt get to drive it yet because the owner wasn't home at the time. anyways, it is in pretty solid condition except for a few minor things like about a softball sized rust spot under the gas fill, shabby paint, and 200,000 on the odometer. however a lot is looking good brand new tank, brakes, fuel pump tires, and no rust on the under body at all. when i first saw the undercarriage i thought i was looking at a brand new car for a quick second lol. I have a test drive with the owner later today(my friend, she doesn't know much about cars)and assuming if all goes well. i.e. no whining, sputtering, leaking, no lights, or grinds, would the car be worth buying?

I would like some inside info on it too.
Ik the mpg is 20/29 and i know the claims r even higher.
Ik the engine is just about the most reliable gm has made at the time period
idk what tranny it has
idk what the major problems r
idk what the expected life r on these cars

thanks

Old 07-18-2012, 11:20 AM

What is their asking price? A 97 is 15 years old now so asking price has to reflect not only that but the flaws I.E. the rust paint fade miles. All of those can factor to price.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
What is their asking price? A 97 is 15 years old now so asking price has to reflect not only that but the flaws I.E. the rust paint fade miles. All of those can factor to price.
well it was originally 1500, but its been sitting there for a while, the price has dropped for times to its current 800. after speaking over phone with the gentlemen. it sounds like his reason for selling is that work will be taking him out of country for a while so he just wants to get rid of it. Thru previous experience i am very weary of buying cars, but so far i am having good vibes from both the owner and the veichle.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by sixscarlo
well it was originally 1500, but its been sitting there for a while, the price has dropped for times to its current 800. after speaking over phone with the gentlemen. it sounds like his reason for selling is that work will be taking him out of country for a while so he just wants to get rid of it. Thru previous experience i am very weary of buying cars, but so far i am having good vibes from both the owner and the veichle.
I'd say its a pretty fair price. I don't know where your from but around Iowa people still want towards $1700 for a Monte Carlo of that age and miles, which to me is ridiculous. Just to keep in mind it never hurts to try and wiggle the price a bit if possible. Its also a good thing to feel out the owner get a sense of if they're telling the truth or not. If I were asking I'd just say its only an $800 car so I don't expect much so just tell me in advance whats wrong with it. I've never owned that generation of Monte so hopefully someone who has can chime in with common issues, problem areas etc. My buddy (on here as Midnight02) had one and I think a main issue was he was having issues at about 180k i think with the strut towers rusting through poking up into the trunk so I'd suggest to check for that too seeing as theres a rust issue by the gascap you can see.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:50 AM

I'm from Rhode Island, where in the section that i am in most everybody is a straight shooter. I will look at the struts too and thanks for this info.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Price sounds fair for something that is drivable and in decent condition.

Considering its the 3100, check for blown head gasket or leaking LIM gasket. Both common on that engine.

I believe in 97 they were still using the 4T60E transmission on the 3.1L...however it might be the first year of the 4T65E. I'm not 100% sure on this...but I know it's one of those trannies.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

$800 i say sounds good. I paid $1000 for mine with 134k miles and other misc cosmetic issues. the tranny is the 4T60E, as long as it drives good and its not smoking or anything i'd say its a good buy. Common issue with the 3100 is the gaskets but but 200k miles they had to have been changed. For the most part i'd ignore what the owner says. Take it for a drive with a completely open mind and if it seems good go for it. If there is anything else you want to know let me know...