General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Fog Lights for my Monte are happenin' !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Fog Lights for my Monte are happenin' !!!

I got lucky and did a online search of car.part.com and found a PAIR of the Real McCoy's which I promptly ordered and had shipped right up here to me from a BoneYard in Georgia. 45-Bucks a side plus shipping. Total of $105.00 for REAL CHEVY MONTE CARLO FOG LIGHTS for my Beige Bomber!

I'm psyched! I thought I was going to have to cram-in some ill-fitting aftermarket lights ... but, ... NO!

Somebody's Monte died and I have harvested organs to transplant.
I already have the soldering iron plugged in!

Now I can put my mind at ease and feel like I have a truly complete package!
Hooray for the Internet!

I'll be back in another thread to ask how they go-in and get wired-up and switched!

Old 01-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Default RE: Fog Lights for my Monte are happenin' !!!

Good find!!!
I know people that have been looking for monte fog lights for years.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member

I'm guessing that most of the wiring and fuse-ing will be easy to do. I could be wrong, but I think the leads for the Switch are on the Pigtail that comes-off the Signal Stalk. I saw something taped-up to that Pigtail when I was fooling around with no High Beams and living under the dash for a few days.

I plan on having them Relayed to BOTH my High and Low Beams via a Double-throw / Center-off Switch I'll install under my steering column. That way, I can have them on with the Brights, Low's or Off.

Looks like I'll be getting back into the wiring harness, again, soon. It was pretty clean looking under there ... all I really need is to find a spot to run a pair of wires through the Firewall, I guess. I'll be putting more thought into it after I cut the box open and figure-out how they actually mount.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:45 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Nice find. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

One thing. Have you checked the car to make sure it's not already wired for the fog lights? Cause mot auto manufacturers when they order a wiring harness for a model such as the Monte only buy one harness from whoever supplies it.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member

Looks to me like its wired. If not I'm going to do my own wiring. I'll be altering the Stock set-up a little bit anyway ... to be able to alternate when the Fog Lights come on or don't.

I'm going to be delighted to have something that gets rid of the space-saving louvers that they put in there when the car comes through with the Fog Lights NOT Factaory installed.
A fine car like the Monte ... shouldn't leave the factory without the lights in there in the first place!

Old 01-29-2008, 08:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Glad to hear you FINALLY found a set of fog light s for your Monte. Should be able to throw in a fuse or relay, or both and be ready to go! What do you intend on changing in the wiring? On with the DRL's?

Old 01-29-2008, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member

Relayed and Switched to come-on with the Brights, Dims or just be Off. I have to insert a relay ... maybe two ... to light the Fog Lamps off the High Beams or the Low Beams.
The Switch will be Center Off.
When selected with one side they will be On with DRL's or switched off. Then, if the Switch is thrown the other way they act as Road Lamps, coming on with the other beams.
I had a set of Cibie Road Lamps wired that way on my MGB. It was awsome to light-up the night-time road with all the candle power those Clear Lensed Road Lamps put-out.

Put those babies ON inn a guys rear view mirror and he regrets being on your bumper flashing his light to get past.

Anybody able to tell me how they work bone stock?

Old 01-30-2008, 11:50 AM
rj
15 Year Member

My lights are activated from a switch in the center of the headlight switch. Not sure if your car has the automatic headlights feature or not?

On two of my other cars I made it so the fog lights are on constantly. I just ran a wire out to the lights and then to a switch under the dash. I can turn them on or off when I feel like it. Then someone told me it's easy to run one small wire from two poles on the factory switch in the dash to do the same thing.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member

I think I'm going to Hard Wire the Fog Lights right straight off the Battery through a pair of Bosch Road Lamp Relays. I'm going to have a Center-off Switch that will allow me to alternate having the Fof Lights come on when the High Beams or Low Beam are selected.
This way I can have the best of all worlds and haave them on as Daytime Running Lights, High Beam Assists or just leave them off and save some hours on the Bulbs.

What are the Brightest (in terms of actual candlepower) Bulbs that I can run in them without causing the front bumper to melt?

Old 01-31-2008, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member

I found this after doing a little bit of Web Surfing about Body Control Module ...
Looks like its going to be a Hard Wire situation!
My Dealership gets 95-Bucks and Hour LABOR!

2000 Chevy Silverado Z71: Let There Be Light
Q:I want to add GM foglights to my 2000 Chevy Silverado Z71. I bought them at the Chevy dealership and was told I'd have to make an appointment to activate the computer even if I put them in myself. Is there any way I can activate the lights?

A: Your Chevy came from the factory without foglamps so the system hasn't been programmed to turn them on once receiving the appropriate signal from the foglamp switch. It's going to require a qualified GM Tech with some expensive electronic equipment to do the job correctly. The interior and exterior lighting is computer controlled by a little unit known as the Body Control Module. The technician will record your vehicle's information from the BCM with a scan tool (the Tech 2) and hook it up to an electronic link with the guys in Detroit (the Techline Terminal), where he can open up to the Service Programming System mode that contains all of the latest programming for General Motors' vehicles. While preparing the most updated BCM program for your particular truck, the technician will select the foglamps as an included option before burning in the new configuration. This should run you about an hour's labor, which can vary from $65 to $85 depending on where you're located. I'd also suggest having the Powertrain Control Module reprogrammed with the latest and the greatest while you're in there. The PCM controls multiple engine functions and transmission operation, and, just like an update or a patch on your PC, the latest programming can help keep things running at optimum level.