General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Difference in grills...what is it

Old 06-14-2018, 12:44 PM
1 Year Member
Default Difference in grills...what is it

So I just noticed a difference in grills and thought at one point that it was a mod. what bumper cover has the mesh grill as opposed to really no grill at all? was it an option? baffled..... want the first one and have the first one.
picked up an 04 with 3.8 130000 for 200 bucks that been abused cosmetically by meth heads
thanks

Attached Thumbnails Difference in grills...what is it-00_montecarloracerfl.jpg   Difference in grills...what is it-00_montecarloracerfl3.jpg  
Old 06-14-2018, 12:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Top grille with the mesh was an SLP grille, really hard to find. They just stick on after you remove the knight's crest and add 3M adhesive, they were discontinued though. You can see mine in my sig.

The bottom is the duraflex kit, a pretty cheap kit that needs a good professional to install and have it look nice.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:41 PM
1 Year Member

Hey thanks for the reply.
So it was a grill that you had to cut out a provision or just stuck on over what was there? Im fairly decent body man and fabricator...i may try to fab one up. I dont like the front as is at all. May start with an impala grill of similar years but we'll see...lol
what wheels are those are yours? Also do you have any trouble with the intake on yours under boost....appears to be stock intake

Last edited by 200dollarmonte; 06-14-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It was a stick on grille.

You remove the knight's crest, clean up the residue, then paint the grille and add 3M emblem adhesive around the grille and place it.

That's an AEM Dry performance filter just sitting on the end of the blower, works fine.

And those rims in my sig are 18" Eagle 077s, but I actually have them in my basement right now and I'm running 06 SS rims now. Live near Southeast PA? You can buy the rims if you like them.

Attached Thumbnails Difference in grills...what is it-naked_front.jpg   Difference in grills...what is it-finished_front.jpg   Difference in grills...what is it-montecarlo_procharger.jpg   Difference in grills...what is it-06ss_rims.jpg   Difference in grills...what is it-montecarlo_intakeside.jpg  

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 06-14-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:18 PM

That aftermarket grill lessens the ugliness considerably.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:49 PM

Ugly?

Old 06-14-2018, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte View Post
Ugly?
It was a beautiful car up until they made it hideous in model year 2000. I owned a 2003 for many years and it never grew on me. But that aftermarket grill helps a lot. I suspect Chevy made it ugly on purpose, so they could justify its impending cancelation.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by wolsblood07 View Post
That aftermarket grill lessens the ugliness considerably.

Matter of opinion. THis being an enthusiast forum, these cars have grown on many of us (most times before we bought them). Personally I think the 2000-2005 models really captured a lot of the lost Monte Carlo styling.

With or without the aftermarket front grill, I think both ways look good.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac View Post
Matter of opinion. THis being an enthusiast forum, these cars have grown on many of us (most times before we bought them). Personally I think the 2000-2005 models really captured a lot of the lost Monte Carlo styling.

With or without the aftermarket front grill, I think both ways look good.
For sure man, well put.. I remember riding the bus to school the first time I ever saw one.. Couldnt get over how "futuristic" it looked back then..

Old 06-15-2018, 07:08 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks for all the info and conversation guys. Yeah honestly I like the car. First monte ive ever had. Never thought there was a choice of grill options persay but yes its my opinion that the slp....now I know... is what I want. Or at least the look of sorts. I may or may not find one or I may fab one up. wasn't saying it was ugly at all just after I seen another option that was to my liking. Also I got this car for 200 bucks so wasn't much room for anything to complain about due to the fact it was so cheap. And the people that seen the car gave me a funny look cuz ive seen it all to many time over the years and that look is...really....why...its a parts car. No I can see past all the bad body panels and fix it..lol. I love these forums as I can find out answers to questions that may take awhile to find no matter how small of detail. There is some sweet cars in here no doubt. the newer SS wheels in my area are hard to find and if you do they are spendy.
Thanks

Last edited by 200dollarmonte; 06-15-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.