General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: decision time for my monte

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default decision time for my monte

I have a 00 ss with 80k miles on it, it's been sitting in front of my garage since I don't need it and always had dreams of adding performance parts when it wasn't needed as a daily driver.

Well now the cops tell me that if I don't put it in the garage by the end of the weekend it will be towed since it doesn't run. Problem is the garage is full of crap so it's either a weekend cleaning of the garage or junk it.

My question is should I even bother? It's a 15 year old car but I've had it for 13 of those years. Hard to let go after so long. The body us in decent shape and the miles are low. Not sure what to do could use a couple opinions.

Thanks

Old 10-09-2015, 11:06 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

If the car is on your property, who are the cops to say what vehicles you can have and where they must be parked? Put the hood up and tell them you are working on it...LOL
I guess if I had to choose, I would probably be cleaning out a garage, but that's just me...lol

Old 10-09-2015, 11:45 AM

Apparently it's against the law to have a non running vehicle outside even if it's on your property. I don't understand it either, that's what the cop said.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:57 AM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Wow...that is crazy!! Well I guess ya better get started on that garage...LOL

Old 10-09-2015, 12:11 PM

that's crazy. how can anybody tell u what to do with anything on your property. I guess maybe its a law where u live. I don't have that problem in Miami. clean out the garage and put everything in the street( that's not your property) then put the MC in the garage.....lol

Old 10-09-2015, 12:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Alot of towns have ordinances and laws in place for this, rather dumb in my opinion but i guess its to keep the neighborhood looking good. If you really like the car, start cleaning that garage lol. Otherwise see if you can store it somewhere at a friend of family members house.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:38 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
i guess its to keep the neighborhood looking good.
They could do that by getting rid of the Fords!!! LOL

Old 10-09-2015, 04:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Honestly, keeping the car is up to the individual person if it's worth it. Some say why mess with it, get a RWD v8. It's all in your personal feelings on it.
I have an '84 Camaro I want to work on, but I lack space for some of the work I need to do (been my story for years). But it's tucked in the garage out of sight.

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
Alot of towns have ordinances and laws in place for this, rather dumb in my opinion but i guess its to keep the neighborhood looking good.
I agree this is a common law. Honestly, there are a lot of people who don't want their neighbor hood looking like a junk yard. Prime example is a guy on a corner lot on my street had I think 5 cars and a 6th being a Delorean that have not moved in his driveway for years (I'm guessing 10+ years) and a 7th vehicle being a mini-van. Some of the cars (all Pontiacs and Buicks from the 90's) were also somewhat taken apart (pieces to the front clip missing). Well, about a month ago, all 5 of those cars, left, leaving now the Delorean and the Minivan.
So if the car is not legally plated and someone complains, that is what those ordinances are for, otherwise some places may look like a junk yard.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Suppoko
I have a 00 ss with 80k miles on it, it's been sitting in front of my garage since I don't need it and always had dreams of adding performance parts when it wasn't needed as a daily driver.

Well now the cops tell me that if I don't put it in the garage by the end of the weekend it will be towed since it doesn't run. Problem is the garage is full of crap so it's either a weekend cleaning of the garage or junk it.

My question is should I even bother? It's a 15 year old car but I've had it for 13 of those years. Hard to let go after so long. The body us in decent shape and the miles are low. Not sure what to do could use a couple opinions.

Thanks

If someone complains the cops come . Does the car have legal plates ?

Old 10-09-2015, 07:32 PM

Call your city hall to confirm this law. Or contact a lawyer for a free consultation.