General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Dealerships stealing Engine Covers for recall!!???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 03:09 PM

Yes , remove it before you go in for any work. They also take the oil fill extension during the service. They might do the repair out of the kindness of their heart

Last edited by Jeffs02rwdSS; 03-31-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Did you really expect that they would take off your supercharger and have it polished it because they were told by GM to keep the cover? No dealer is ever going to shell out hundreds of dollars out of pocket to make you happy on this. They woudnt want to set the precedent, otherwise they could have thousands of 3800 owners flocking there to get their free polished superchargers too.
I kinda think he was asking GM a rhetorical question to prove a point.. A question that was just as outrageous as them taking the cover..

Old 04-01-2018, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
I kinda think he was asking GM a rhetorical question to prove a point.. A question that was just as outrageous as them taking the cover..
I guess my point is that in general this seems like an extreme over reaction directed at the wrong people.

I'm sure GM has a substantial legal team that was heavily involved in this decision. As such, Im sure they've covered all of their legal bases. It's just a simple beauty cover with minor noise reduction ability due to the foam underneath. They're not stealing anything, they've got evidence that links this to the fires, so it's got to go. They can't make an exception for the tiny number of people who actually care about it just because they'll promise to be careful - it's not worth it to them leave the possibility of more lawsuits hanging out there.

When I say it's directed at the wrong people, I mean that GM and the dealers have almost nothing to do with this. This stemmed from our lawsuit happy society trying to make a buck off of everything even if it stemmed from their own stupidity. Those are the people driving it. Because of that, GM is forced to go to the extreme to do everything they can to reduce the risk of future lawsuits as much as possible.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I guess my point is that in general this seems like an extreme over reaction directed at the wrong people.

I'm sure GM has a substantial legal team that was heavily involved in this decision. As such, Im sure they've covered all of their legal bases. It's just a simple beauty cover with minor noise reduction ability due to the foam underneath. They're not stealing anything, they've got evidence that links this to the fires, so it's got to go. They can't make an exception for the tiny number of people who actually care about it just because they'll promise to be careful - it's not worth it to them leave the possibility of more lawsuits hanging out there.

When I say it's directed at the wrong people, I mean that GM and the dealers have almost nothing to do with this. This stemmed from our lawsuit happy society trying to make a buck off of everything even if it stemmed from their own stupidity. Those are the people driving it. Because of that, GM is forced to go to the extreme to do everything they can to reduce the risk of future lawsuits as much as possible.
Real good points to consider......

Old 05-13-2018, 04:18 PM

when the service rep. told me and showed what they do with the cover I said no thanks. I still get recall notices from GM. I just throw them away, I guess they will stop sending them someday.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:07 PM
Angry I too had my engine cover stolen to my Supecharger !!!!!by Ron Marhofer's in Stow, OH

Originally Posted by VinceIsaac
Hello everyone. So I own a silver 2004 Monte Carlo SS Supercharged Limited Edition in pristine condition. I brought it in to a local dealership to get a recall taken care of that I've been putting off. The Oil leakage issue (which hasn't been a problem for me but I figured it would be a good idea to be proactive). The dealership stated that they were going to replace the forward piston cover and seal (also something with the keys so they don't turn off while in operation). So yesterday when I went to pick up my car I discovered that they had taken the plastic engine cover (in brand new condition) away. When I asked them for it back they stated that it's "property of GM" and that they were taking it as a precaution against engine fire. As I understand from reading the recall order, that issue was supposed to be taken care of by replacing the Piston valve cover and seal. No mention was made of taking the engine cosmetic cover away. The dealership refused to give it back and when I called GM about it they also said that they can't give it back. I suggested that they replace the function of that part of my car by doing something with the look of the supercharger casing, such as replacing it with a shined up cover or polishing the current one, perhaps...something to replace the function of what they took off. They refused to do anything. I suggested that they then compensate me for the part since it was my property, they refused. Is it just me, or is this wrong and potentially illegal? I understand that they're trying to minimize their liability in case of engine fire... But when recall work is done, isn't there a reasonable expectation that they would somehow replace the function of what they take away?? Never in a million years would I have taken my car in with the cover on it if I thought they would steal that from me. Anyone else have this issue, or any lawyers out there have any input?
I had my car towed in to Ron Marhofer Chevrolet Dealership on June 4, 2020 to have the 2 recalls done and to have it diagnosed to see why it was not starting. It would start most of the time but then go through spells where it won't start and it got to the point that it would only start if jumped with a jump pack and it already had a brand new battery, the alternator was good, and the starter was good. On Saturday, June 6th, they called and said the recalls was done and they diagnosed the starter to have an internal short saying that is why it would sometimes start and not start other times. They wanted $986,42 to replaced the starter with a remanufactured starter. I told them I had an extra starter so I would pass on them putting one on. I went over on Monday, June 8th to pick up my car and of course the car would not start so they told my husband he was welcome to hit the starter with a hammer while it was on the rack to see if we could get it to start but it was almost impossible to hit it. They said they tried jumping it before we came into the garage, but i don't think they did or they didn't want us to see under the hood. So my car got pushed outside and we called a tow truck. As we waited for the tow truck we remembered the hot wire we added to the starter that we touch on the battery when the key was turned on to start the car and we tried it and the starter was working but the car wouldn't start. We NEVER NOTICED the top engine cover was missing!!!!!! We went back in and had the guy come out and we showed him the wire we had put in and that the starter was working just fine. Tyler told us to leave it since we paid $157 to have it diagnosed and that obviously wasn't the problem.
We have not heard from them all week and they had my car an extra 6 days, so we go over to the dealership and when we get there we see my car is in the same spot that we left it in on Monday, the 8th. They never touched it!! The plastic that was on the seat that they put on so as not to get my seat dirty i took off and put it between the door and the seat and it was still there. I walked in the dealership and they say they was just going to call me. Yeah right! I asked why my car was in the same spot and they tried to lie and say they checked it out and it still comes up as an internal short in the starter and the car still won't start. I said the starter is good, it cranks on the hot wire, it has to be a bad ground or a bad wire or something was not plugged in. My husband said we paid to have you find the problem cuz I need my car and they had it 9 days just to tell us the same thing that was not the problem! So they refund my money of $157 and we call for a tow truck to come get the car. The tow truck driver uses a jump pack and the car starts right up! Now why couldn't the dealership do that???
The tow truck driver told me if it dies again to call him back and he would come back. I drive a mile down the road and turn on the radio and it killed the car!! Call the tow truck back and have it towed home. My husband cleaned terminal post and replaced the wire from the battery to the bottom of the main fuse box right by the battery on the right strut tower and the car still did not start but it needed it. My step-son stopped by and in 5 minutes found the problem!!! IT WAS THE MAIN WIRING HARASS TO THE DASH THAT IS LOCATED BETWEEN THE MAIN FUSE BOX BY THE BATTERY AND THE PULLEYS ON THE ENGINE!!!!! IT WAS NOT CLIPPED TOGETHER ALL THE WAY!!!! Now the car is running and now I'M MISSING MY SUPERCHARGER ENGINE COVER!!!!!! I'M just FURIOUS!!!! My car has never seen a winter and only has 114,000 miles on it!! I take it to car shows and I need my cover!!!

Old 06-20-2020, 07:08 PM

I take my engine cover off and toss it in the trunk if it ever goes to the dealer for any reason. I don't want them to see it and go 'well you shouldn't have that!'...

I will now take it off and leave it home. That recall was done, and I made sure to leave the cover home.

I didn't know it was largely because people were slobs and getting oil on everything... Seriously? Sigh.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by KatSands70
I take it to car shows and I need my cover!!!
While it sucks they took your cover, that part wasnt really the dealer's fault, that was a GM mandate. Sounds like a crumby dealer (or tech) in general though.

If the cover is that big of a deal for you, theres a bazillion on ebay. Looks like they're only about $50. Or you can hit up a local 3800 FB / forum and probably get a used one off there. Lots of people who mod their 3800s have long since taken them off, so you should be able to get it fairly cheap. They were worth basically zero before the recall, and even now the market is pretty limited.

Old 06-21-2020, 01:16 PM

I took my cover off before I went in for that recall.

I have since sold the car, but I still have the cover?

If someones cover was taken and they want one let me know, located in St Louis MO, my was a 2002 NA car.

My old car is at a lot now, here is a link, I do not recommend buying it. https://www.growauto.com/inventory/v...ONTE-CARLO-SS/

Old 06-23-2020, 12:33 PM

When I took mine in for the recall, they did the same exact thing. I missed the part where they would keep the cover. I am pretty friendly with the counter person, he looked up the part number for me, even though GM doesn't even want them to give that to you as well. It is my understanding that if the valve cover leaks, it splashes on the cover and can drip onto the hot manifold causing a fire. I drive with mine on all the time. I will not give it to the dealership with it on. If it gets the recall work which looked like a new cover and gasket, I fail to see why it would leak. Oh and by the by... I had it inspected and it is leaking again after the recall.. YEA!!!

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Dealerships stealing Engine Covers for recall!!???