General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Dealerships stealing Engine Covers for recall!!???

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 05:03 PM
Default Dealerships stealing Engine Covers for recall!!???

Hello everyone. So I own a silver 2004 Monte Carlo SS Supercharged Limited Edition in pristine condition. I brought it in to a local dealership to get a recall taken care of that I've been putting off. The Oil leakage issue (which hasn't been a problem for me but I figured it would be a good idea to be proactive). The dealership stated that they were going to replace the forward piston cover and seal (also something with the keys so they don't turn off while in operation). So yesterday when I went to pick up my car I discovered that they had taken the plastic engine cover (in brand new condition) away. When I asked them for it back they stated that it's "property of GM" and that they were taking it as a precaution against engine fire. As I understand from reading the recall order, that issue was supposed to be taken care of by replacing the Piston valve cover and seal. No mention was made of taking the engine cosmetic cover away. The dealership refused to give it back and when I called GM about it they also said that they can't give it back. I suggested that they replace the function of that part of my car by doing something with the look of the supercharger casing, such as replacing it with a shined up cover or polishing the current one, perhaps...something to replace the function of what they took off. They refused to do anything. I suggested that they then compensate me for the part since it was my property, they refused. Is it just me, or is this wrong and potentially illegal? I understand that they're trying to minimize their liability in case of engine fire... But when recall work is done, isn't there a reasonable expectation that they would somehow replace the function of what they take away?? Never in a million years would I have taken my car in with the cover on it if I thought they would steal that from me. Anyone else have this issue, or any lawyers out there have any input?

Old 03-29-2018, 08:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yes they will take it and not return it, and there's really nothing you can do about it short of just buying another one online or catching one in a junkyard if you so desire.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:24 PM

Sad that you found out the hard way. But at the end of the day it is a potential fire hazard if it falls of onto the exhaust.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:19 PM

That might irritate me too since I love keeping my car original. On the other hand some people think the engine looks cooler without the cover. Even if you took the car to a show I doubt anyone would ask where the cover is, or even know that it ever had one.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My understanding was only that the cover wouldn't fit correctly if the recall repair was done. I had no idea they were stealing the things and I agree that sounds wrong to me.

I never take my car for recalls and instead opt to keep it in it original defective state. I still haven't changed a light bulb yet on my '04

Old 03-30-2018, 08:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

All because people can't refill the oil without getting it all over...

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 03-30-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:16 AM

I havnt bothered with the recall... I did replace my valve cover gaskets tho... and I removed the plastic plug wire thingy. as far as the engine cover goes.. I don't use that either... IMO it just retains heat over the fuel lines and upper intake, keep your ignition key separate from your other keys and youre good ta go there as well. the only downside I can see is that an open recall will show on a car fax or history report,

Old 03-30-2018, 03:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

As many said, that cover is part of the recall. It will fit just fine, but it is being removed because people who are sloppy and spill oil everywhere, that cover allows it to drip on the exhaust.
I agree, it is sad they do not allow you to retain it for car shows or garage art (such as signing a waver that states it will not be used while operating the car).

I am also interested in GM's terms. The recall calls this a "beauty cover", but the shop manual calls it an "injector shield". If it's a shield, it has a function. Granted, I have been running without a cover long before the recall.

Also, this complaint has been mentioned numerous times on this and other online sites. Best thing to do, is remove it before taking it for the recall.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by VinceIsaac
I suggested that they replace the function of that part of my car by doing something with the look of the supercharger casing, such as replacing it with a shined up cover or polishing the current one, perhaps...something to replace the function of what they took off.
Did you really expect that they would take off your supercharger and have it polished it because they were told by GM to keep the cover? No dealer is ever going to shell out hundreds of dollars out of pocket to make you happy on this. They woudnt want to set the precedent, otherwise they could have thousands of 3800 owners flocking there to get their free polished superchargers too.

Never in a million years would I have taken my car in with the cover on it if I thought they would steal that from me. Anyone else have this issue, or any lawyers out there have any input?
Honestly, you're not going to be able to do anything about it. Even if you can find some legal grounds, are you really going to sue them for a $50 cover?

If you're really that concerned about having one, just grab one from a junkyard or pick up one if the hundreds off of ebay. Just keep in mind if for some freak reason your car does burn to the ground, you'll then have zero legal recourse against GM.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:37 PM

We are talking about these, correct?

Should I remember to take mine off next time I go to the dealership?

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Dealerships stealing Engine Covers for recall!!???