General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Curb or Dog?

Old 11-10-2007, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Curb or Dog?

so today i was coming home from playing Dodgeball going about 40 when all of a sudden a dog comes out into the street and is in front of my driver side tire and then it stops and i dont have enough time to stop so swerve to the right and hear a great grinding sound and i new what it was. MY RIM. so now the rim has gashes all the way around the lip of the rim. [sm=headbang.gif][sm=noooo.gif][sm=noooo.gif][sm=noooo.gif][sm=smiley35.gif][sm=smiley35.gif][sm=smiley35.gif][sm=smiley35.gif]
i think i said something like that

Old 11-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Old 11-10-2007, 10:55 PM
Default RE: Curb or Dog?

Ouch man, that looks nasty. At least you didn't hit some poor kid's dog, that would have ended up as an injured/dead dog and probably a damaged bumper.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:09 AM

somethign you can do is get a hold of the kid or the dogs owners and ask them to replace the rim. if they say no you can actually sue for the damge to the car.

belive it or not in most states you are the one that gets stuck for damages done by your animal to others property.

or the other option is if you have full coverage and the deductabel on it is less then the price fo the rim call and turn it in .

or just learn to live with it.

OR if you are real luck find someone that can polish them out and see if they can do it for you., If they can most of the time you wont see them to much and are not real obvious that it was done.

either way if they had a clear coat on them to keep themp nice looking it is not there anymore and the aluminum will start to tarnish etc and get darker. and is real tough to keep clean or to get clean again.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would have done the same as you. Saved the dog, but messed up my rims. The rims are expensive, but like god_bot said, you saved some kid's dog's life. And probably saved some damage to your bumper and undercarriage.

There are some specialty wheel shops that can re-condition the wheel. I had it done at a local place years back on the factory rims for my '91 Z24. The clear coat had come off when the wheels were re-balanced, and the clear came off with the old weights. Wheels started to get that white oxidation. The shop did an excellent job. They even clear coated them. Looked brand new. I forget how much it was, but it was cheaper than buying new wheels.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:56 PM

Damn that sucks dude. I would have done the same as you also.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:39 PM

That dog would have been smeared. Kid would learn to keep his pet under control. A good smack and a yowl and that would have been the end of it. Rims would still be good. Heck that one guy here just hit a deer with his with no damage, I'd think the dog would do less.

Ok I'm just playing, I couldn't be that big of a *****. It was a good call to miss the dog. I would see if you can sand, polish and paint.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:42 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Being an animal lover I'd have done the same.

Do as Mickey says and try to get the dog's owner to help you out. I think in the meantime I'd be lookng for a wheel shop in my area to see if the damage can be repaired? If not then it's new wheel time.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:30 PM

On Monday i going to a local shop to see what they can do but i am thinking that they wont be able or just not want to. becasue i have tried to deal with them before. They were my first choice for buying rims but they were just jerks to me becasue i was a kid. but i hope they can just sand it down a little and polish it for under the price of a new rim.

Along with the dog i didnt get the dog after i hit the curb it ran away and this was at 8pm all i know was that it looked like a golden retrever.

yeah i was mad to say the least but i think i would of felt 10* worse if i would of hit the dog. seeing as i have two dogs myself.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:06 PM

I would swerve for a dog, but not for anything else. Luckily, you had an escape route (the curb) that didn't result in a great deal of damage. I bet the dog was owned by some "animal lover" that doesn't have the sense to tie him up. I would never let my dogs run loose, just because I wouldn't want to see them laying on the roadside dead.
Just the other day by me a guy swerved to avoid a deer, and drove his car right into the side of a fuel tanker. He and his daughter both died because of that deer. It's not worth your life to save them, it's just not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Curb or Dog?