General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

> cold air intake <

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Default > cold air intake <

what would be better.... a fenderwell intake kit with k&n.... or just a regular cold air intake with a shield around it?

as much information or opinions the better thanks

chad

Old 04-03-2006, 04:33 AM
Default RE: > cold air intake <

honestly,
the fender well intake is a better choice for the cold air if that is what your wanting it for. if your doing it just for looks do etheir one they will both give you a gain in air intake to the motor.

but if your cheap like ai am you can make a fenderwell intake that looks nice with very littel work on your part.

go to the bone yard and get the factory air intake off a ford eqscurtion the lil bronco wanta be that you see ever where.
take the long plastic hose off it that gose from the carb to the fender well. and also find your self a pice of 90 deg. pipe off of something els that will fit on the end of that. then just stick a cone filter of your choice on to the end of it. I had a 90 layign around out of a universal kit that fit it perfectly and then i hose clamperd it on there.
the filter i used was a K&N with the shroud around it and it is crome on mine i belive. but it had a lip around it so i drilled a small hole and mounted a peice of stales strapping on to it from a radio i had here . it is the peics they always give you to mount it to the firewall or hang the back side of the radio noboy ever seems to use but the factory.

bend it in a long l shape so it will mount to the filter and help hold it in to place and also so it will mount to the hole in teh bottom of your fender right at the bumber connection. hard to get to from the top but not to bad from the bottom.

then you take your air box out and your pcm. i made a tray for the pcm that was coverd up like the factor air box and mounted it all back in place. then hooked it all back up.

take the 4 " rubber hose off of the T/B and sticke it on the end of your new air intake hose. clamp it in to place and then you can fiddel with it from there to make it fit in the fenderwell like you want it to.

I cut off the factory hose fitting on the ford peice used some J.B. weld to cover the hole up and sanded it down smooth so the peice is now seled from top to bottom . then i re sanded the whole thing with some 100 grit paper to ruff the surface up some and used etchabel plastc primmer and then painted it black to make it look better. the whole thing cost me less then 40.00 to do and about a weekend if you allow the paint and all to dry before ya put it in the car.

Somethign that works just as good as the 300.00 ones your looking at and actually fits the car better. just not shiny under the hood.

Good luck!

Old 04-03-2006, 04:46 AM

sounds pretty creative.

I personally have built 4 diff CAI's for my car and one for a diff car. first off... what year car do you have? mickey has a 6th gen so the engine bay is slightly diff and has the PCM in the filter box.

my firs t FWI used flex hose that you normally would use for a V8. and just ran it to the cone in the fender.
my second FWI i assed some rigid pieces to straighten the air flow and relocate the IAT sensor close to the filter.
My last and current FWI is almost all rigid. i am using 2 rubber elbows and a lenght of PVC. i have a complete write up on my website here http://www.cardomain.com/ride/473859/6

Old 04-14-2006, 10:16 AM

i have a 2000 monte carlo....

Old 04-14-2006, 08:57 PM

you can use the system like what i have or the flex hose. personally i dont like the flex hose version as it has a ruff surface threw the hose and will cause turbulance threw the hose. basically defeating the purpas of the polishing etc.. if you do it.

some will say it can help it but i have not see this in real life weather it dose or not.

the way mine is still has some off the MAF . but it is limited to just wha tyou have on the car now.

also to me it looks cleaner.

just my /02 worht