General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Clank noise when I hit a bump

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 12:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think you are right. The sway and linkages aren't cracked.

Looking at your video, it appears that is a fairly new wheel bearing/hub assembly on the car. I wonder if when it was serviced, someone did not assemble the ebrake properly. I've never had to mess with the ebrake on these cars, so I am not sure how that setup goes together (I'll have to do a little research). If you recently had the bearing replaced, you may want to talk with the shop that did it about this noise.

I have to head out the door, but if no one has responded when I get back (later this evening), I'll see if I can punch up the assembly info on the ebrake.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

yup, It is a newer wheel bearing, almost a year old now. Had it replaced since I I had a bad abs sensor and that requires a new wheel bearing since the sensor is inside the assembly.

The wheel bearing has been on for almost a year now and the noise just started a few weeks ago...I would love to call the mechanics who changed it out but there no longer in business (local guy in town that owned his own business) and I have no idea where he lives.

hmm I really wonder if I can just take the wheel bearing off an just remove the e-brake for good...I have no idea how to assemble an e-brake but I'll have to look into it for sure. I can't imagine though that me removing it for good will have any effect at all except that the clunk noise would be gone(hopefully). I appreciate the help your tossing my way also

edit: just called my uncle who has been doing his own repairs all his life and I'm glad I did. I mentioned the problem to him and showed him the video and asked if I could just take the parking brake shoes off the car for good and he replied: "of course you can I got mine laying under my toolbox right now and that's its a complete independent system," so later today I'm going to take off the shoes that I could move in the video and see if the noise goes away.

Last edited by Tzarm; 02-25-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I think that is the problem for sure good luck fixing it. As for the link of the parts pic I got that site from a member Zjerry. He would always post from it. It's a great reference.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thought I'd let ya all know that the noise is now gone and its a great feeling. I didn't end up taking off the parking brake shoes though, I did some research and found out there is a screw you can spin a little bit to tighten the tension on the shoes. So I messed with it and tightened it up a bit and it was much better, much more solid, with very little wiggling. So I appreciate the help ya'll have given me.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Glad you fixed problem ,and it didn't cost you big $$$