General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Change The dash Display

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 07:31 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Change The dash Display

So my car is a 2001 Monte LS few added factory goodies. So its a nice ride but I was wondering if I change my dash display from the simple layout to the multiple gauge display they have on the SS models. I know it will fit but are the connections the same or is there more to it than that

Old 02-01-2018, 08:18 PM

My best guess would be they should plug right in to your harness and work. I know they had different gauge packages per car model but use the same harness and you can check but sending unit should be same from electric to mechanical gauge ( oil ) so odd's should be in your favor. I agree that the cluster you want looks much better with a oil and alternator gauge.

Last edited by Jeffs02rwdSS; 02-01-2018 at 08:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-01-2018, 08:42 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
My best guess would be they should plug right in to your harness and work. I know they had different gauge packages per car model but use the same harness and you can check but sending unit should be same from electric to mechanical gauge ( oil ) so odd's should be in your favor. I agree that the cluster you want looks much better with a oil and alternator gauge.
Ya would be a nice addition to a boring dash as well LOL. Now the big question which 1 from which year or years ,Have to see if anyone knows about the sensors before I just go buy 1 at the wreckers ,shouldn't matter to the computer about the display for millage and trip and such its just a display. Herman

Old 02-01-2018, 09:00 PM

Bottom one you have pictured looks just like the one in my 2002. SS. As for the sender just call the local parts store and see if there is a different part # for the oil sender with a gauge or idiot light. And if there is, you could just change the sending unit . Good luck Herman and keep us posted , I'm sure a few people might be interested.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:32 AM

Im pretty sure its a simple swap.. Theres a few topics about it around here somewhere..

Old 02-02-2018, 12:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The oil gauge will not work, but everything else should.

And the odometer won't come over, it is stored in the cluster itself. Most times you need to either fill out paperwork (for registration and mileage differences), or have a dealer reprogram the odometer for you.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:29 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
The oil gauge will not work, but everything else should.

And the odometer won't come over, it is stored in the cluster itself. Most times you need to either fill out paperwork (for registration and mileage differences), or have a dealer reprogram the odometer for you.
Maybe worth more hassle than I thought ,Dealer reprogramming for what exactly ? Millage. And I suppose a different oil sending unit . Herman

Old 02-05-2018, 10:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Herman Munster
Maybe worth more hassle than I thought ,Dealer reprogramming for what exactly ? Millage. And I suppose a different oil sending unit . Herman
I don't believe we have found a way to get the oil gauge to work. I'm pretty sure that sensor and wiring is built into the harness and PCM.

The odometer would need to be programmed to your car, because when it comes time for inspections and registration your mileage will be completely wrong and you can't have that.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I believe the dealer is unable to reprogram the mileage. I've played with a GM Tech II (tool the dealer would have) and no luck. Also, the GM shop book does not talk about reprogramming the dash.
I have heard of services that can reprogram the cluster.

Now, as for the gauges, everything works except the oil gauge. I researched some of it and here are things I can tell you about the oil gauge:
- The oil pressure switch vs sending unit have different part numbers.
- The connector on the oil pressure switch/sending unit is different.
- The connection for the oil pressure sending unit/switch goes to the same location on the PCM.

We had a member that did some work and swapped piece parts and the gauge still did not read. My best guess is something in the programming of the PCM.

Some people cover the oil gauge on the cluster.