General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Camry will run with Monte SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Default RE: Camry will run with Monte SS

Wow, this topic heated up pretty fast!!

I think the main point that cain is trying to convey is that he is shocked about the performance nuumbers that the Camry is putting out nowadays. I would love to see a 5.3L Monte SS line up with a Camry XLE and see what really happens. Something tells me that maybe, just maybe, those numbers are not totally accurate. From my own experience, though, (although, yes, mine is a NA 3.8L, not a S/C or V-8) the 3.5L engine powering thenew Maxima is really impressive. I never expected a larger 4 door car to move like that! I am all about the American Muscle (even though, technically, I am a foreigner), and I will never buy an import, but Detroit really needs to step up their game to be competitive anymore! Lets face it, larger displacement does not equal more power anymore. Technology is such that we can produce near 300hp 4 cylinder cars and have them be adequate daily drivers. If American auto developers do not wake up and smell the innovation, they will become fossilized. Yes, I will weep that day because I am a professed hardcore Chevy man. But, I cannot be blind to the facts. Something as simple as interiors and instrument clusters. Chevy interiors are not necessarily awe inspiring. Personally, I like it that way because I am a no-nonsense kind of person. But, the rest of the world does not see it that way.

We are in a generation of technology. Large screen TV's, Hi-Tech video games,and personalmedia players are earmarked to be the best selling Christmas gifts this season. How many of you have at least one of these things already in your house? I do. Nissan has developed a car that can also be used as a video game station. These are different times. We must growwith them.

Forgive me for rambling on, but I have felt this for a while. I would really hate for my beloved Chevrolet to go the way of Oldsmobile (and they ask..."What's in a name?"), but I can see it coming. It's already started.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:57 PM

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU BIGG!!!!!! My point exactly. What I was trying to say is that I didn't buy an SS and if I had I'd be really upset that a "family hauler" will run neck and neck with me to 60mph. I would be pissesd and livid.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:07 PM

Always a good debate from Mr Cain, you gotta love it! There is NO WAY in hell a 4 door camry will pull harder then a 303 HP/323 Ft Pounds Torque Monte, Impala or GXP. Off the line this V8 will no doubt take the lead and the Camry will be playing catch up. Torque is what gets your car MOVING! Without, your not going anywhere..........I am sure the Camry is a nice car but I cant really find anything to get excited about it.

On the topic of 4 bangers producing alot of power, I can attest to that., My Supercharged Cobalt with Stage II, GMPP exhaust and GMPP extrude honed manifold is putting down 268 HP at the wheels and 240 Ft pounds or torque. Second and third gear its like a rocketship and will clean my Monte's clock. BUT its a much lighter car. Where it fails is in top end. 4th and 5th gear SUCK for accelleration. If it was a top end race, the Monte will destroy it. Its all about weight and where in the powerband you are comparing as well...

Old 12-18-2006, 08:16 PM

06blackss....the numbers don't lie. 0-60 6 seconds flat! My father raced for years in the 50's so I know about torque and hp. Fact is AGAIN the numbers don't lie.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:18 PM

Oh and another huge advantage that helps the Camry 06black ss is the fact that it has a 6 speed auto as opposed to the 4 speed auto that the SS possesses. If you don't believe me check the sites. Oh let me guess there all for the foreign cars right? And like to debate, hell yes!! Bring it on. I'm always up for a good debate. Like I said before I was just really shocked and appalled that the Camry was now this quick.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:32 PM

Yes, yes...all true. Let's not forget that we are all friends here, though!! I don't think that anyone is TRYING to insult or un-nerve anyone else.

I think that the real point here is that we all need to put as much technology into our rides asImport manufacturershave in theirs so that we are not embarrassed at the light by a family of 5 in a Camry!![8D] (No, 06BlackSS, they will not have enough torque to get off the line with that load to beat a Monte...you're absolutely right![&:])

Old 12-18-2006, 08:35 PM

[align=center]Moderator Bigg `J[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Super post and moderation.[/align][align=center]I learn as I travel my journey in life.[/align][align=center]Your words & wisdom inspires.[/align][align=center]Thank you for sharing.[/align][align=center]`space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Now to continue[/align][align=center]&[/align][align=center][:@][:@][:@][:@]put some fuel on this fire [:@][:@][/align][align=center][IMG]local://upfiles/714/33F16AF306C940ADAFF043718E2AC10C.gif[/IMG]
I didn't say that - I didn't mean that [X(]
[IMG]local://upfiles/714/DC4B28B112FE4565A016BE0C0A0FB8FB.gif[/IMG][/align][align=center]I'm right...no your not[:@]

[IMG]local://upfiles/714/128D59BD70B84679BFB151B70230F33A.gif[/IMG] [/align][align=center]Let's have a drink [8D]`ok,,l[sm=icon_cheers.gif][/align][align=center][8D]Here's one of my special cigar's./WoW[/align][align=center]Happy Holidays[/align][align=center]___________________________________[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]If anyone has a site with subject cars road test[/align][align=center]and times. Please Post.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]And the infor/entertainment[/align][align=center]continues...[/align][align=center]May the best car `Win...[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]"For the Love of Monte"[/align]

Old 12-18-2006, 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: SpaceRider

[align=center]Moderator Bigg `J[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Super post and moderation.[/align][align=center]I learn as I travel my journey in life.[/align][align=center]Your words & wisdom inspires.[/align][align=center]Thank you for sharing.[/align][align=center]`space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Now to continue[/align][align=center]&[/align][align=center][:@][:@][:@][:@]put some fuel on this fire [:@][:@][/align][align=center][/align]

[IMG]local://upfiles/714/33F16AF306C940ADAFF043718E2AC10C.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/714/04048CDEB1E7445BB9E2C525976E8B05.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/714/DC4B28B112FE4565A016BE0C0A0FB8FB.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/714/128D59BD70B84679BFB151B70230F33A.gif[/IMG]
LOL, I am done on this topic!!!!!!!!!!! I just wish I could run one at the track and get it taped. Guaranteed the North American V8 will reign king....

Old 12-18-2006, 08:41 PM

You let me know when and I'll bring the video camera!!

Old 12-18-2006, 08:44 PM

Cain why so much hatred towards the SS and it's owners? It's bad on gas, It's slow, It's not worth the money. If you could, I bet you'd tell us were all fools for buying it. Why? [&:]

Quick Reply: Camry will run with Monte SS