General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): a/c not cooling

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default a/c not cooling

Hello Peeps!, checking with you guys first. Came home from work last Friday night, a/c working fine, I did not drive car all weekend, got in it on Monday afternoon to go to work and no a/c?? WTF!! fan works but no cooling! What should I troubleshoot first etc.? Ive never had a/c issues in 9 + years of ownership, also never have charged it. should I try that first? Its funny that that Saturday I saw the tv commercial with the dog getting the a/c charge kit from the auto parts store and said to myself...self, you should probably get some of that since you never have added Freon!, ... two days later, my a/c doesn't work!! any help as always is appreciated!!

Old 07-14-2017, 10:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would not buy a charge kit. If you had working AC, and then all of a sudden you don't, then you are going to have a leak somewhere. You'll need to get the system filled with a dye, and then use it until it starts to get warm again. Take it back to the same shop and find out where that leak is.

These are completely closed systems, those over-the-counter cans are just a stop-gap and not a proper way to fix these cars, and most of the time you can do more harm than good by using one of those.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:58 PM

The "charge kit".. I put those in the same category as a stop leak type deal..

It might fix it for a little while, but more times than not its going to do nothing except possibly make the leak bigger or gum up the system..

Oh ok, just seeing what chibi wrote up there^^^ and I x2 it..

Old 07-15-2017, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member

Well, first of all, thank you both for the responses! you guys are awesome! today I piddled with my car, took off the ac line dust screw cap on drivers side, high pressure side? by the air filter and there was a little bit of bright green fluid inside cap and on valve. my son looked at it too, and when you put your finger over valve, Schrader valve, it hissed a little. went to advanced auto and bought a new Schrader valve , 8.99$, then to walmart and got two cans of refridgerent, because at advanced cans were 12.99 and walmart...4.88. changed out valve and charged ac, it took the first can and ac got colder on passenger side? gauge showed just in the green so we put the second can in and Eureka!!! I have cold ac! checked it a few hours later and still good, gonna check in the morning again to see. Im hoping that this is the fix for me, if so it cost 20$ and sweating bullets in the driveway as it was 100 degrees today! thanks again I will update tomorrow, Claydoh

Old 07-16-2017, 10:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

That would be awesome if you lucked out and the shrader valve was your leak. As I understand, especially in areas that have harsh winters, the condenser coils in front of the radiator are usually to blame (as they sit in front of all the debris that comes at the car with little to no protection).

I have to find the issue with my mom's LeSabre and no working A/C.

Just remember, you should never have to add Freon to a working system. It is a closed system. If you do need to add Freon, there is a leak somewhere. Those charge cans at the parts store should be used just as you did here, found a possible cause to the problem, fixed, re-charged the system.

I'm personally curious, let us know if after a week of normal use if things are still good. My hope is that you found it by spotting that oil.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

Good luck with the "quick fix", hope it lasts. Done properly by a shop the existing freon would be evacuated and new freon would be weighed to the proper amount and installed under vacuum. Without the vacuum, air will take up some of the space where freon should be.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member

ok, update on a/c,...day 4 with Schrader valve and recharge, still good ! I hope this was the problem but I am hesitant! like Maniac said, Im gonna give it a week or so and see if it starts failing, but I hope not! I understand Plumbob that this was not the "proper" way of fixing this, but it was worth a shot for me as I cant afford an a/c shops couple of visits prices right now!!

Old 07-19-2017, 06:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile Here is something else I learned

Here is something else I learned about the AC if your cabin filter has not been changed in awhile it will reduce the output of your AC.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Nice to hear it's still holding up!!!

Old 07-28-2017, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member

Well, 12 days in and my a/c is still cooling okay? I think I got the problem with the leaking high pressure Schrader valve ! fingers crossed still !! : )