General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: A/C Delco Parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 07:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default A/C Delco Parts

I've always been a believer in OEM "get what you pay for" parts , but have recently had to question that theory. I bought an A/C Delco radiator hose, and water neck from Rock Auto. I paid twice as much compared to the "Favorites" hose and 4 times as much for the Water Neck. Just trying to stay as original as possible. A/C Delco always was the brand to trust, but I received the hose with a gouge in it, and the finish in the cast iron water neck was so rough I had to grind down areas where hose attached to avoid a leak. I reported the hose problem to Rock Auto who was great. They sent me a new hose no questions asked and I didn't even have to send the old one back. I received the new one in good condition, but the cut length on connection ends was shorter. I know AC Delco moved mfrg. to Mexico and I have to wonder if quality suffered as a result. It seems now, like so many other things we're just paying for the name. Has anybody else had this experience?

Old 04-22-2015, 09:37 PM

ive never actually ordered anything from an online source that was AC delco but I always bought ac delco plugs and wires,i never liked buying parts online just because I couldn't visually inspect it

Old 04-22-2015, 10:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I've always had good luck with oem parts, but to be honest, I don't always buy them, a lot of times I will go with the cheaper product, as unfortunately half the time they are made in the same factory and just branded differently. Also if I can save money for the product that will last just as long if not longer then I am going to save my money I started this theory when I was riding my Harley's, the dealership wanted me to bring it to them and have only genuine harley davidson oil used for oil changes, but I am fairly certain that Harley does not have their own refinery so it has to be manufactured by someone else and they put a different label on the bottle, but the price mark up was ridiculous, so I just couldn't justify being that reckless with my money.

Quality control issues are always an issue pending on what day of the week it was made, as humans are prone to make mistakes lol. But for a rad hose from ac delco, you really shouldn't have any issues, so that is not good, glad rock auto treated you right though, that says a lot about them as a supplier.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I feel RockAuto does a great job with their parts and customer service. I've order countless things from them and 90% of the time, even after shipping, they end up being the best source and selection.

As for AC Delco, keep in mind, there are LOTS of things AC Delco/GM does not make and simply re-brand (or maybe they never made them). Such as, I have factory original AC Delco plugs I pulled from a 3400. It says AC Delco and it also says NGK. I've pulled plugs just like this from multiple 3400 cars (all factory plugs). Proof, it was a rebranded product.
Same for some "Genuine GM" gaskets. They are just farmed out to be made by someone who will meet the specs.

I completely understand the concept behind trying to use AC Delco/GM parts. In theory, you should never go wrong as it should meet all specs of your factory original equipment. But also keep in mind, sometimes you can go better (equal/better quality for equal/lesser cost). The problem is determining what non-OEM parts to consider. Comes from experience or lot's of reading. FYI - If you ever need front wheel hubs, I have yet to be unhappy with Timken (yet to replace a Timken too) and RockAuto has always had the best price on Timken for me.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:31 PM

what about MAF GM Parts direct is 238 for one AC DELCO is 179...they are not the same?