General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Brake Lights Work, But Won't Flash (HELP B4 NIGHT)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 03:53 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Brake Lights Work, But Won't Flash (HELP B4 NIGHT)

Ok so i've been having my fuse blow and tailights would flicker on

I redid the ground (to stop the flicking)
And tied/closed up some loose/open wires on the front end (to stop the fuse from blowing)

Now....my brake lights work fine...I press brake and they light up, no problems and no flickering so far
But I try to

The connector/harness that is in the truck that connects the rest of the back lights, I unplugged it and tried to test light it while the blinker is on

I get nothing.....I get two pins/wires that get "fire"...but none blink

Are the bulbs bad EVEN THOUGH THEY ALL WORK?? causing the second element not to blink??

I've literally been in my truck for a couple hours now.....but im at a brickwall and mentally tired, and I would like to drive the car tonight :-(

Old 04-23-2011, 04:56 PM

Oh and BTW....The front marker lights signal (blink) fine

Old 04-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I doubt it would be the bulbs. But it's always possible the bulbs are blown. Use an Ohm meter on the bulbs and measure the resistance on both filaments if you're not sure. If you get an open circuit on one filament, it's bad.

But this sounds like a wiring problem. Check the bulb sockets first. Clean any corrosion from the contacts. That's a common problem. Also, if the wires have been spliced or tapped into anywhere, that could be the source of your problem.

I remember that installing a third brake light bought from local auto parts stores was very common back in the 80's. They had to tap into either your brake light wires, or your turn signal wires. Depending on the type of set up your car had.

I wish I had a better answer for you. Unfortunately, because of the holiday weekend, the forum is kind of slow. Hopefully someone will see this and give you a better answer.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:01 PM

The third brake light was tapped into the main harness to the lights.....I can tell because I used brake light on the spliced wires and it was two hot wires, that become hot when brake was pressed.
I undid it so nothing is tapped into now.......the wires are exposed (just until troubleshooting is over).
BUT I am making sure the two wires are not touching anything...so they are not much of a "factor" in my mind yet as to relating to the issue