General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Another round of questions :D

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Default Another round of questions :D

I just have a few questions. Some are silly, but I just wanna comfirm.

1. I have a true dual exhaust, do I need a cross pipe at some point so each side has equal back pressure in the exhaust?

2. What type of oil should I use in my 1966 engine? What weight and visocity(sp?), and should I use high milage even though I am not positive on how many miles it truly has?

3. Is there any tricks or tips on taking off the timing chain cover to a 327 engine to change the gasket? I know I gotta take everything around it off 1st like water pump and crank shaft pully.

4. What is a good idle RPM for a car like mine? right now, it seems to be about/around 750RPM. I know I can change all that with the idle screw on the carb. I just don't know it if I should raise

5. The engine shakes a little bit. I am not sure if that it because of the idle speed or the back pressure of the exhaust slightly throwing off the pistons, but that needs to be look at, and my question is you think stiffer engine mounts is a smart way to go?

6. How can I tell if certain parts are aftermarket? There has been alot of work done on the engine and I was wondering if there was aftermarket pistons. When I open the heads, the top of the pistons, how can I tell that they are at least non-stock? Also, intake manafold, It should have the cmopany name on it if it was aftermarket, right?

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Default RE: Another round of questions :D

edited

Old 05-29-2007, 01:23 PM

what type of car are we talking about

1. no u dont need a cross pipe on the exhaust
2. Conv. oil is better for older engines. 10 w 30 is good enough. You can use high mileage type ofoil
3. after unbolting the water pump and removale of the crankshaft pulley, remove the bolts holding the cover one. Dont forget the bolts on the oil pan that holds the timing cover on (if i remember right, might be thinking of a FORD)
4. 750-800
5. Engine can shake a little if the carb is out of balance on the idle circuit side (adjusting screws at the base of carb)

Old 05-29-2007, 03:28 PM

Thanks Mrrench

Its a 1987 monte SS with a 1966 327 small block with 4 barrel carb, fuelie heads, cams, true dual with no cats, a B&M350 trans.

I dunno if that makes a difference in your answers for me.

I think the timing cover might be a ford thing cause the research I have done, it said nothing about the oil pan. The timing chain cover gasket is leaking so that's why I am replacing it. I have a few manuals coming but if they are taking too long, I wanna try it when the gasket kit comes in.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:26 PM

1. I have a true dual exhaust, do I need a cross pipe at some point so each side has equal back pressure in the exhaust? a cross over pipe wont hurt you but the reason most put them in is becuse of the horsepower they are running they are trying to get the gasses out faster.

2. What type of oil should I use in my 1966 engine? What weight and visocity(sp?), and should I use high milage even though I am not positive on how many miles it truly has? you can use 10 w 40 in the summer and also 1030 in the winter. should not hurt you a bit. Also if ya rebuild it you can use pretty much anythign ya want to. if your not sure of the miles you can use the hig milege stuff should nto hurt ya.

3. Is there any tricks or tips on taking off the timing chain cover to a 327 engine to change the gasket? I know I gotta take everything around it off 1st like water pump and crank shaft pully.actually yes there is one i can let ya in on. buy some bandaids lol

nah kidding you will really need them those damed things like to bite ya.
but take out the front pan bolts on either side of the oil pan and then losen the others up enough for it to fall down to get past the timming cover. Also change the oil after you do this so you wont ruin a good oil change.

4. What is a good idle RPM for a car like mine? right now, it seems to be about/around 750RPM. I know I can change all that with the idle screw on the carb. I just don't know it if I should raise. if the car dont stall and runs good then leave it alone other wise try turning it up to a out of gear idel of 1000,RPM
i used to run mine right around 900.rpm on automatics and about 500 on a clutch knowing when i was taking off in it i could adjust it higher with the foot feed in a stick

5. The engine shakes a little bit. I am not sure if that it because of the idle speed or the back pressure of the exhaust slightly throwing off the pistons, but that needs to be look at, and my question is you think stiffer engine mounts is a smart way to go? that will depend on witch way the engin shakes left to right make sure to check mounts. front to back make sure to check tranny mounts. you can check engin mounts but dont get nutz on it. put a jack under the motor and see ho much play thay have in them

6. How can I tell if certain parts are aftermarket? There has been alot of work done on the engine and I was wondering if there was aftermarket pistons. When I open the heads, the top of the pistons, how can I tell that they are at least non-stock? Also, intake manafold, It should have the cmopany name on it if it was aftermarket, right?
most after market parts have thier names on them someplace so they can get thier name in there and in your head when your working on your car also allot of folks will buy a name. So if it has a name on there then it is mostlikly after market.
other wise it could be OEM parts.
the heads are hard to tell by looking at them but there are books out there you can find out there and get the numbers off of them to run the numbers . or even on line you might be abel to find them also
Thanks!
[/quote]

Old 05-29-2007, 07:45 PM

man knowledge is power

Old 05-29-2007, 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: benhillzone3

man knowledge is power
+1....thats why I ask questions.

Thank alot micky. Right now, there is no major need to cross over the exhaust pipes so I prob wont, but I am most likly will have to buy 2 cats or fake two cats so I don't get hassled by cops.

I will really only be running the car in non winter months so I guess I will go with a high milage 10-40. or a reg 10-40 with some additives. Yea, I plan on doing an oil change when I do the gasket. I need one bad but I gotta hold out until I am ready to swap the gasket. I also have to take off the passenger side header because there is ONE friggin spark plug that is impossible to get to.

Now that I think about it, the engine seems like it shakes slightly to the passenger side. I'll take a look and double check the trans mounts.

Man i love forums