General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Another Bad Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 03:11 PM

Usually a rebuilt just have the worn out components replaced... a reman typically has had many more components replaced and will have a much longer warranty....but of course price will be higher.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:37 PM

I had mine done almost exactly a year ago, it was acting up so I took it to my regular mechanic shop. I had them do a filter/fluid service first, (not a flush), to see if that would do it since I never had done that but it did not. they did the rebuild plus while it was out replaced the rear oil seal, oil pressure switch and the oil pan gasket all for $1700, plus the monet I spent first for the filter/fluid change, but 1 year later still driving great! think I got a great deal, good shop, fair and honest people

Old 05-25-2017, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
It should have never had the 4t65e-HD. GM knew that the trans topped out at 300hp, and definitely should have mated these cars to the 4L80E
Yet, when I asked if I should replace my 65 with the 80 here, you would've thought I was a pedophile given the reactions.

I agree with the "follow the money" people, though. The 80 went into the lower-volume cars, which went to the older drivers who were less likely to incinerate their tires at every green light.

I'm one, which may explain why I had no problems with the 65 in my GTP, and only two in this car, one of which was solved by adding fluid, and one of which was caused by a misfire.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:52 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's just too much custom work to go through that process to mate it, as opposed to getting the 4t65e built.

I just wish GM did it from the start

Old 05-25-2017, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just got my car back from transmission shop and the guy told me he installed transgo shift kit AND superior shift kit. I didn't know you could do 2 different type at once? Anyone think it's good or bad?