General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

All in the name of working Air Conditioning!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 06:07 PM

The AC system is designed to not come on if you don't have enough refrigerant so you don't destroy your compressor. If you think it is leaking out when it's running, it is probably the compressor and probably at the compressor shaft. How old is the compressor? Is it oily and dirty? I would check any of the connections that you took apart as you could have a bad or improperly placed O-ring.

Did you lubricate the O-rings when you hooked the Evap back up? Were they the correct size.? At this point, I doubt it is the Evap itself since you are having the same issue as before the repair.

How much experience does your friend have at working on AC systems? Just because he is a GM mechanic does not mean AC work is his specialty.

Since today is Tuesday, did you find out anything.?

Wayne

Old 06-19-2012, 08:59 PM

Did you use a name brand evap core?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wayne, I thank you for the info. I am well aware the A/C does not kick on if the freon is too low in order to protect the system, hence why I have not been worried about the compressor not kicking on.

As for my friend, he is a seasoned mechanic with many years of experience working on all parts of the car, including A/C (he's been working on cars I think longer then I've been alive). Now, don't get me wrong, I work in the I.T. industry, I know just because someone has many years experience does not mean anything (as I've worked with people who had more experience then I and probably should not even touch the power button on a computer).
I nickname him my "GM Guru". The reason for this is because the few times I've had to call on his help was because me and the others I know around me (and trust with helping on car issues) have hit the wall as to what my problem is. This guy can usually diagnose my problem quickly and accurately, and that is due to his experience (he has handled problems I considered to be some real stumpers). And all he does is the diagnosis, I do the wrench work at that point. This evap is the FIRST thing he has ever been wrong about in the few times I've needed his help. Sure, it sucks all the work that was done to change the evap, but while I was in the area I changed a heater core and should NEVER have that an issue in the future, if I do, now I don't have to bust the stupid heat stakes from under the dash (as the heater core does NOT require complete dash removal). I also fixed a problem with the blend doors, which could only be done by removing the HVAC module as I did). For all the times this guy has been 100% right, I am NOT loosing sleep about this one time he was wrong (especially since I rarely use the AC, but I like to have it).
But I also feel he has done all his due diligence in diagnosing this issue.....

I apologize if that sounded like an attack, it was not meant to be. I know there is a lot about the A/C system I do not understand, so there is a wealth I can learn from everyone who has more knowledge.

But, I have important news about this..... Wait for post #74

Old 06-19-2012, 09:11 PM

10 Year Member

OK, to answer Aussie, it's a 4 seasons evap core. And Wayne, as far as oil around the compressor, no sign. It is the factory compressor and prior to the A/C being charged this year, the engine and accessories (including the compressor) were CLEAN, like almost brand new from show room clean (or close to it).

Now, I call this good news, as it's the road to the solution.

I stopped by my GM Mechanic's house tonight. The leak has been FOUND! When I looked myself with a black light and goggles, I cannot believe I missed it.

** It's the lower driver side of the condenser (which sits in front of the radiator). **

From the first time this guy looked at this car, he checked that, as it's one of the most common fail points in his experience on most any car (it's infront of a lot of road debris and crap). I even looked again myself once he found it. As of right now, it's relatively small in appearance (or at least from the angle you can see it). Considering I don't use A/C often and the car is not driven in the winter could be some factors to why this just now is pronounced enough to find it.

I'm happy I have an answer (and it's easier then what I just had to do to change). Now, it's just finding the time and motivation to do it!!

Old 06-20-2012, 07:16 AM

I had a feeling that's where you would find it. I was just trying to rule everything else out first. My Monte also needs a condenser. loses about 1lb a year of freon. But mines from being wrecked and not from road debris.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Had mine replaced last summer haha

Old 06-20-2012, 06:22 PM

I wasn't trying to imply your guy didn't know his stuff, I have just known mechanics that were knowledgable in one area but not in another.

I'm glad that the leak was discovered and it is an easy part to replace.

I typically replace condensors as a normal course in repairing a leak especially if it involves replacing the compressor because these newer condensors are pretty much impossible to flush and get flush out if you do flush them and you don't know how much oil is in the condensor and the amount of oil in the system is important.

Most condensors are not that expensive and it takes out the element on how much oil is left in the system or whether or not there are any debris in the system. Your OT will usually tell you how dirty your condensor may be.

If someone is just trying to fix the AC on the cheap and as a temporary repair and the OT is clean and the condensor is not leaking, I sometimes will just leave it just to keep the AC going for some time longer.

Wayne

Old 06-20-2012, 07:10 PM

10 Year Member

I completely understand what you mean Wayne, it's impossible to know everything about all parts of car repair, so I see where you are coming from. In this case, I had faith and I know he does a good amount with a little of everything (and he's not too proud to call it when he's out of ideas). But I'm glad my faith in him panned out.

Now I'm just not sure when I'll tackle the condenser (I've spent a lot of funds on the Monte this year, a couple I did not plan for, battery, tie rods, alignment). But, we'll see, at least this repair should be MUCH easier then the last thing I did!! LOL!

And Wayne, you bring a good point about the oil. I know the last time my friend charged the A/C, he hooked up a pump to evacuate the system, I never though to ask if this also sucks out other crud and old oil.

Anycase, sounds like I'll be on the road to a cool breeze once I decide to pull the trigger and do this one

Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Going to be a LONNGGGGG drive to the nationals this weekend huh?? :p

Old 06-21-2012, 11:33 AM

10 Year Member

It was a longer drive to York for the Monte Nationals last year with no A/C then too.
My friend put a small charge into the system. Pending it does not loose much before the trip, we might have some A/C at least ONCE on this trip.

Quick Reply: All in the name of working Air Conditioning!