General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

All in the name of working Air Conditioning!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well, I am back from my Vegas trip. Just before leaving, I ordered BOTH the Evaporator and Heater core. As planned, they arrived while I was gone. Now, I just need to get out there and BACK to work on it. But I'm in the midst of handling pictures I took while we were in Vegas.....

Old 04-20-2012, 07:05 PM

10 Year Member

FINALLY!!!

The HVAC module is OUT of the Monte!!! AND I BROKE A STUD!! <BOO!>

Tomorrow, cracking this nut open and replacing the crap inside. Tonight, I will 2 part epoxy that stud back on.

Attached Thumbnails All in the name of working Air Conditioning!-img_5953.jpg   All in the name of working Air Conditioning!-img_5954.jpg  
Old 04-20-2012, 09:55 PM

Ehh i just removed the entire compressor it self and ran a shorter belt, im a windows down guy 100% winter or summer dont matter

Old 04-21-2012, 04:35 AM

10 Year Member

I am typically a windows down guy, sun roof open (in the summer), but my '04 Monte, with only 62K in such clean condition and is too NEW for me to leave the AC broken. It would be nice to say "forget this heat, I'm crankin' on the air conditioning".

The '94 Grand Am I drive has not had working AC for about 5+ years now (and I could care less about fixing it, just a sacrifice of the car being so old, especially since it's primary duty now is carry me through winter).

And to be honest, I could leave the compressor in place despite this problem. But if I was to remove the compressor, I could just remove everything in the A/C chain and lighten the car (no more A/C lines, accumulator or condenser coils in front of the radiator).

Old 04-21-2012, 07:32 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

That is crazy, I've never really seen behind the dash on one of our cars. Keep up the work.

And I hope you don't leave down the windows too much this summer, all of that work wouldn't make much sense

Old 04-21-2012, 09:05 PM

10 Year Member

I do drive quite a bit with windows down and the sun roof open. But it's NICE to have the option to shut it all up and crank the A/C on really humid days or extremely LONG rides. And the Monte is just TOO good of a car for me NOT to fix the A/C.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

AC and recirculation is also great for those cool rainy days where the windows keep fogging up.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:32 PM

10 Year Member

Good News:
I got the HVAC module torn apart. Once you understand how the shop book wants you to "chisel the heat stakes" it's not so hard. I thought you had to chisel where two pieces of plastic meet and brake the heat stake that way. NOPE! Easier, just chisel the glob of plastic at the top!! They then tell you to drill holes in the adjacent "dimples" and re-assemble with screws (oh, and you have to source the screws).

Bad News:
I bought both Spectra brand heater and evaporator cores from RockAuto, they don't fit!! The heater core a touch thicker then the original one and the lid will not seat!
The evap core is not as long and the tubes on it are not long enough. The only way to seat all this is by having the evap core sit at a "cocked" angle. NOT acceptable!

I tried calling RockAuto's customer service line, but at this time, it is closed for the day. So I sent a detailed e-mail regarding my problem. They've worked with me before, I am sure they will work with me again. Just irritating, this job is already annoying enough.....

Attached Thumbnails All in the name of working Air Conditioning!-img_5959.jpg   All in the name of working Air Conditioning!-img_5961.jpg   All in the name of working Air Conditioning!-img_5965.jpg  
Old 04-23-2012, 09:07 PM

10 Year Member

Just got off the phone with the folks at RockAuto. They are sending me pre-paid return tags. Once the items are received, full refund for the item AND the shipping cost. They recommended to meet my delays, re-order the other brand parts (this way they will be cross shipped).

The evap core was WAY out of whack more then I thought when I measured all it's dimensions!!

Old 04-27-2012, 06:24 AM

10 Year Member

Got the replacement-replacement cores yesterday (thursday). Delphi Heater core fits 100%. The Four Seasons Evap core is a "little" different BUT I can work with this. I spoke with my GM Guru and he said as long as the tubes line up and it fits, I should be good (he's worked with that issue before).

Since the new Evap core did not have all the same foam padding to bumper it, protect it, I added some gray insulating foam to it.

Also I found one of my dual climate flappers is REALLY stiff to move. I will be making some adjustments. I have only the heater core pans screwed back down right now.

Attached Thumbnails All in the name of working Air Conditioning!-img_5990.jpg   All in the name of working Air Conditioning!-img_5991.jpg   All in the name of working Air Conditioning!-img_5992.jpg  

Quick Reply: All in the name of working Air Conditioning!