General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Air Conditioning Tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up Air Conditioning Tips

This time of year I get a lot of questions about air conditioning repair.

First of all, when describing your air conditioning problem, make sure to tell the tech exactly what is happening. Is the air too warm? Or is the air cold enough but low in volume?

Warm air could be caused by a refrigerant leak, system blockage, or a faulty component such as a compressor. Low air volume means that the air stream being fed into the vehicle cabin is impeded by something, such as a faulty air duct door or clogged air vent.
Get Ready for Summer Driving: Air Conditioning Tips »

Click above link

Member's Post your Tips/Suggestion on How 2 Stay ~ Cool ~
in your Monte Carlo : )

Last edited by Space; 05-26-2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: 2 wish U a Kewl Summer in your Monte : )
Old 05-26-2009, 12:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Talking about A/C, I need to getit recharged. Its just not as cold as it was last year.

BRRRR

Old 05-26-2009, 02:40 PM

Automotive Air Conditioning Repair
- Car Air Conditioning System Parts-
Auto Knowledge is Power if you need repairs.
It pays to know about your system when taking it to be
repaired. I learn something new everyday on the MCF.
Thanks to all contributing Member's

Automotive Air Conditioning Repair - Car Air Conditioning System Parts
It's always a pleasure to enjoy the fall of cool air on our body especially during hot summers. So you can attend marriage or any other personal functions or meetings with your face radiating beams of freshness. A powerful car air conditioner could greatly bring down the weariness caused by long drives especially automotive air conditioners in many cars which would be the dream cars of today's youngsters.
However, automotive air conditioning is always not a standard addition provided in a car. Cars manufactured before 1940 lacked the feature as it was not invented by then. Gradually several enhancements were done to the system. The repair requires a trained professional's help. People curious to get to know the bottom of things may attempt to do some repairs by themselves exercising caution.
In small air conditioned cars, there may be a slight drop in pick up of the vehicle but this will not be the case with big cars.
The Standard Parts of Automotive Air Conditioning
The automotive air conditioning system comprises seven major parts.
These parts are:
1) Compressor - As heart is to the human body, so is compressor to the AC system. It is basically a pump connected to the engine whose chief function is to compress the refrigerant from the evaporator coils and the compressor, or "the heart of the system," is a pump that is attached to the engine. Its purpose is to compress and transfer refrigerant gas. The compressor has both an intake and a discharge side.
2) Condenser - It functions very much like the radiator and will most often have a similar appearance. The purpose of the condenser is to radiate or to give away heat, so whenever the AC is switched on condenser must have good supply of air for cooling purposes.
3) Evaporator - Its chief duty is to absorb heat. Besides getting rid of heat from inside your vehicle, it is also responsible for dehumidifying the car. In order to regulate the temperature of the evaporator, pressure introducing pressure regulating devices like orifice tube is necessary
4) The receiver is used in automotive air conditioning systems that employ thermal expansion valves as pressure regulating devices to ensure that this pressure regulating device receives the liquid refrigerant that it needs in order to function. In order to do so, it must separate gas and liquid.
5) The accumulator is used only on automotive air conditioning systems that have the orifice tube as the pressure regulating device, and its main function is to store surplus liquid refrigerant. In doing so, it prevents any liquid from entering the compressor, which could be detrimental to the system.
In spite of the modern advancements that have been made in the automotive field since the introduction of automotive air conditioning, it is still possible to maintain your own system even if it is an olden day style.

Learn more about automotive air conditioning repair at my site. Learn how does an air conditioner work at my air conditioning filters site.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Ricky_Lim

Old 05-26-2009, 03:41 PM

last year i forget to purge the ac system.
before you put in the 134a.make sure you do that.
their is 134 a that has dye in it.to help find leaks.the leak i have in my car.is so small that they recommend to recharge the unit rather than to fix it.small leak was under the dash.and cost to much to fix.
also do not use the so called a/c that repirs leaks.that could plug up small orfices in your a/c system

Last edited by dominic; 05-26-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:18 PM

anyone change a condenser on a monte before?? 00-05?

Old 05-31-2009, 06:21 AM

Gimme My AC...Please!
Pat Goss

Air conditioning problems can be difficult to diagnose and often very expensive to repair, and one of the real big problems is when you have a slow leak of the refrigerant out of the system. It may take weeks or months for it to go away. Well, the cure for that is dye, such as we have here. This comes from TracerLine, and this dye gets injected into the air conditioning system. You drive the car for a couple hundred miles or so and it goes back to the shop. Then the technician uses a black light such as we have here, and the black light is moved along the various components in the air conditioning system. When we come to the spot where the leak is, the dye glows just as we see right here. Now we know exactly where our refrigerant leak is. These kits are even available for do-it-yourself so you could do your own diagnostic work if you have an air conditioning leak.
But suppose you find the leak or the technician finds the leak and it happens to be in one of the hoses? Maybe it's in a pure aluminum line one of those lines that's made up of aluminum and rubber. Well historically the only thing you could do with one of these aluminum pieces was replace it, and they can be outrageously expensive - anywhere from $100 to sometimes $200 or $300. Now there's something brand new that you can get to repair the aluminum portions of these lines. Now this is not do-it-yourself because the kit is too expensive, but it comes from Dorman Products and it contains various components like here we have a hose with aluminum tabs on it. We have stock pieces of aluminum tubing, and it comes with a cutter, a scribe, and a whole selection of different adaptors and fittings to match most of the popular ends to these lines.
But here's the big thing, they include a special tool. This tool has different dyes that go into it and it squeezes the fittings onto the hoses and onto the aluminum, so that you have a high pressure air tight seal. Now this one single tool could save you, many times, hundreds of dollars; so it's something you should look for.