General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

AIR BAGS, OKAY TO DISCONNECT??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default AIR BAGS, OKAY TO DISCONNECT??

Hello, well I had a shop installing Sparcoseats and they have stopped. Apparently their concern is the factory seats side airbags. If they are disconnected might also the dashairbags disconnect or fail to operate. What has anyone here experienced adding aftermarketseats? Any knowledge disconnecting the seat bags will cause the whole system to become inoperable?
Or is it even illegal to not have airbags at all? Have added an 8 point roll cage to the car, wanted to add the aftermarket seats and the harnesses. Now we have this issue.GRRR!!

cardomain site for my car is ZIPPY01 if you want to scope out all the mods going on. It's still in the shop at Las Vegas having alot of work done on it. Lawless engines is doing the machining on the block and Fast & Furious peerformance is adding the Precision T-4 Turbo, Aeromotive fuel pump,pump speed controller,fuel pressure regulator,many MSD parts,Intense Racing tranny w /3rd gen limites slip, Intense stage 3 heads,Intense stage 3 cam etc. etc.I just wish this would get done, now we have this snag for the airbags, so any help would be cool!! Thanks very much everyone!!!

Old 04-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Default RE: AIR BAGS, OKAY TO DISCONNECT??

I would go ask a dealer. Federal law requires front airbags for drive and passenger, however side impact airbags (I believe) are still not required, although recommended. Although if you are planning on this car being a track car ONLY, then you can disable all airbags. If you drive it on the road, then don't. Like I said, talk to a dealer, see if they can give you a wiring diagram for the airbag system.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: AIR BAGS, OKAY TO DISCONNECT??

Hey how's it goin, appreciate the input. Scoped out the net for info myself,seems like if the owner don't want airbags they have the right to disconnect them. Finding someone to do it seems to be the prob due to liability issues. Trying to do the shops homework for them and get answers as to how the system functions. I'll let you all know how things turn out,really wanted the aftermarket seats and harnesses.