General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Aftermarket Tail Lights Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

They were made for the 00-05 Montes, when they realized they fit on the 06-07 they started selling them. I would contact the manufacturer, if you followed the 06-07 instructions exactly, the company will help you out I'm sure.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:17 PM

true that they seal up nice. but you can tell that they were the 00-05 style.

i got mine from CAR ID on ebay ,they wanted 339, i submited 260 shipped and they bit.

yeah and to the guy with the red monte the ruby red ones look sweet two. i was just going for the blackout look on my car.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I got mine from eBay for 230 shipped.

They are all the same company so it's the same lights no matter what you pay.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:59 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
They were made for the 00-05 Montes, when they realized they fit on the 06-07 they started selling them. I would contact the manufacturer, if you followed the 06-07 instructions exactly, the company will help you out I'm sure.
Something that may be the problem?
The '06/07 Montes are wired differently versus the '00-05 Montes. I did the taillight coversion on the '03 Pace car and '06 LTZ. Where the top bulb now lights with the taillights light up. On the '03 when doing the conversion if you hooked to one wire the taillight lit up with the lower bulb. If another was used the top light flashed as a blinker indicator.
The '06 I did the conversion. Both upper and lower bulbs now operate as tail and stop/blinker lights and I did nothing special for this to happen.

i wonder if the red ones would look good on my monte . My red monte .
YES. How I know is I saw a red SS at the 2008 Monte Nats with them. Everyone who saw the lights loved them.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by rj
...I did the taillight coversion on the '03 Pace car and '06 LTZ. Where the top bulb now lights with the taillights light up. On the '03 when doing the conversion if you hooked to one wire the taillight lit up with the lower bulb. If another was used the top light flashed as a blinker indicator.
The '06 I did the conversion. Both upper and lower bulbs now operate as tail and stop/blinker lights and I did nothing special for this to happen.
Do tell. Did I miss this conversion? Is it a thread here? Little help please.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:56 AM
rj
15 Year Member

Easy enough to do. Takes about an hour to do both taillights. the cost both times for me was $25.

Since the top and bottom bulbs in the taillights are exactly the same no new bulbs are needed. Just new sockets you can buy at NAPA, AZ, or AV. Even O'Rielly's I'd say.
You remove the taillight from the body and remove the sockets from the taillights.
I didn't want to cut and splice the wiring on either car so I bought the connectors you can clip in to the wires and press the metal piece in the center down so it makes contact with both wires. (one being spliced on, the other being spliced in to)
I believe the black wire on the new socket is ground. The white chaser wire is the one you want to use but I can't recall which original wire I clipped on to, to make the top bulb work?

I can post pics of the '03 Pace car if you like to show how I did this conversion.

Since this conversion is so easy, you can remove the taillight pigtails, take them in the house and do the conversion in there. Then re-install on the car.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

So what this will do is make both bulbs, top and bottom blink and turn on when the brakes are applied? Hm... I'm interested!

Old 02-20-2010, 11:47 PM
rj
15 Year Member

The '06 does. Both top and bottom bulbs will now act like tail, stop, and blinkers. All I did was do the upgrade and now both top and bottom bulbs operate. So the '06 and more then likely '07s have a wiring change versus the '00-05 Montes.

The '03 at least it's either, or. You have to hook up for either taillight, or blinker.

I know a guy over on 2000 MC said you have to do some major upgrade to the blinker system to get the taillight to work as a blinker. But I wired to the wrong wire by mistake and while checking my work, found out the top bulb now blinked with the bottom. We decided we wanted an extra taillight (not blinker) on the '03, so I did the correct wiring job to get this to happen.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Well I certainly would like to modify the tail lights to work together like this on my 2006. Any chance you could write up a diagram with some pics? Thanks!

Old 02-22-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by rj
...I can post pics of the '03 Pace car if you like to show how I did this conversion...
Yes sir, please if you will. TIA

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Tail Lights Question