General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

after market stereo

Old 04-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Default after market stereo

I have a 1996 LS and i just installed a Dual (brand) stereo. now, for some reason, the speedo doesn't work. but when the stereo is on and you turn up the volume, the speedo needle bounces with the beat. Any suggestions??

Thanks
-Jim

Old 04-05-2007, 01:55 AM
Default RE: after market stereo

Tera, you officially win the "best laugh of the week" award.... Unfortunately there is no monetary value to the award, but you can tell people that you won it!I thoroughlyenjoyed the idea of watching my speedometer jump to the beat of my music.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that somehow when putting in the stereo,some wiresgot crossed, and now your stereo is feeding the speedometer instead of the speedometer feeding the stereo. You see, the stock stereos in Monte's had a speed-sensitive volume option. So obviously at some point during the installationthe wires that feed signal to the speedo got crossed. So instead of the wires feeding the speedo the speed, they're feeding it your audio outputs, making it quiver with the beat.

First, if you still have the factory stereo plug, reinstall your factory deck, and from the instructions in the owners manual set the speed sensitive volume adjust to off. Then drive a bit, see if the speedo works properly. If it does, then it's definitely your wiring. While you're driving hit an atm, withdraw some cash, and drive to the nearest pro audio shop to have them fix it.

Or, if you modified the wiring before the factory stereo plug, simply hit an atm, withdraw some cash, and drive to the nearest pro audio shop to have them fix it.