General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

80s Paint Recall/Cash

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 06:34 AM
caj
Default 80s Paint Recall/Cash

Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum and wanted to say HI. I'm 61, retired and live in St George Utah. I purchased a brand new 86 Monte Carlo in 86 and had it for 2 years before selling it. I'm considering purchasing another one now to take to car shows in my area becaused I always loved that car. I have a question and I was hoping that someone here would have an answer for me. I am looking at purchasing a pristine 86 that has been repainted. The person that currently owns it is the second owner and has owned it for over 10 years. He told me that when he bought the car from the original owner, the original owner had told him that back when he first bought the SS in 86, sometime around then GM was offering a paint job (obviously to a person that complained about his/hers paint-job on the car because of the poor quality back then) or $900 cash in lieu of the paint job. I'm pesuming that (at that time) this was a "hidden warranty". Anyhow, instead of getting the car repainted, the original owner took the $900 because it would help with his car payments. After the second owner purchased the car he wasn't very happy the way the car looked and decided to have it painted.
So, has anyone heard of a GM hidden warranty to either paint a car or give the original owner $900 in lieu of the paint-job. Of course, this would have been back in the mid-late 80s.
Thanks for any help,
Craig

Old 09-17-2013, 09:11 AM

I remember in 85 that some in my area at the time (New England) that bought the black MC SS had found out the paint had runs, lighter areas, orange peal. They had the repairs done for free at the dealership body shop. I believe a lacquer paint was used that year and GM had major problems from it. As far as a secret recall I do not remember anything being done for the paint jobs after warranty. My white 85 SS which I still own had a few secret warranties done dealing with a fuel pump, carb jets, and tranny work dealing with the torque converter. I went to get service for a free oil change and was advised about fixing the other "problems" before they started. Only recalls I remember getting in the mail was for the fuel vapor canister, spark plug gap change after an electronic item was changed?

Old 09-18-2013, 07:30 AM
caj

Originally Posted by Jglnaz372
I remember in 85 that some in my area at the time (New England) that bought the black MC SS had found out the paint had runs, lighter areas, orange peal. They had the repairs done for free at the dealership body shop. I believe a lacquer paint was used that year and GM had major problems from it. As far as a secret recall I do not remember anything being done for the paint jobs after warranty. My white 85 SS which I still own had a few secret warranties done dealing with a fuel pump, carb jets, and tranny work dealing with the torque converter. I went to get service for a free oil change and was advised about fixing the other "problems" before they started. Only recalls I remember getting in the mail was for the fuel vapor canister, spark plug gap change after an electronic item was changed?

Thanks for the info. I believe the hidden paint warranty extended into at least 86. Glad to see you still have your SS.