General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): 7th gen swap of front clip and steering wheel

Old 08-01-2018, 08:57 AM
1 Year Member
Default 7th gen swap of front clip and steering wheel

So I've been looking around on the forum to see anything similar and haven't yet but I'm covering a few swap questions in one. Hope people will chime in with pics. First swap I want to do is the steering wheel from an 07 ss to an 04. My thoughts are the hookup should be the same as the buttons have for the most part the same functions with exception of the diagnostic buttons. Anyone done this. Also it seems like a fairly easy mod as long as you have all parts but 7th front clip on 6th. That's not a huge issue right now as I'm doing a set of halo lights for it and have a somewhat of prototype of a slp rendering I made. Not super happy with results of the shape so have to tweak it. Sure be nice if I could get a simple outline of a grill. But if I run across parts cheap then I will do a clip swap. Wondering if anyone of you guys have done it. Also I'm doing the 98 ss Camaro style hood scoop on this build as I don't wanna pay for the entire hood that's available. I noticed the 79 z28 scoop may be an option now too and would look similar just no bonding and blending of the scoop. Shoot some pics if anyone has done some of this.
Thanks

some pics of my build so far. been at it for about month and a half. after this weekend it will be close to ready for electron blue pearl and silver bottom
you guys have seen this car before in other thread...lol
pic of quite the seal job they did on the sunroof when all you had to do was blow the dam drain holes out...lol
and interior is finally pretty much done with new sunroof in

Attached Thumbnails 7th gen swap of front clip and steering wheel-20180714_183625.jpg   7th gen swap of front clip and steering wheel-20180722_200332.jpg   7th gen swap of front clip and steering wheel-20180720_191621.jpg   7th gen swap of front clip and steering wheel-20180729_181029.jpg  
Old 08-01-2018, 10:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool

Wow this is some detailed custom work, I am working on a Hood scoop mod myself, but It got stalled out with vacations and a bunch of projects around the house. Hopefully I can get back on it soon.
So did you install a new sunroof in this car or just trying to fix it from leaks?
One thing I did on a leaking sunroof once was I purchased some of the vinyl film for window tinting and I put that over the roof and the sunroof and it worked as a Temp repair.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:43 AM
1 Year Member

Yeah it was just a goofy repair. They destroyed the sunroof and used the glass for patch panel. Had fiberglass mat, duraglass, and tar from a tube. Had one from a grand prix I'm parting out so since I had the interior gutted already was no big deal to plug and play another one. No real reason on the work on the car other than I gave 200 for it and it is mechanically great. new brakes tie rods etc.and a 3800. The exterior was just 3 layers of paint in several types. one being oil base brushed on..really a lot of work in most eyes but fairly easy stuff. .lol. at any rate I have a history in autobody as well as taking a project to a level that people ask....WHY...lol. just me I guess

Old 08-01-2018, 07:32 PM

Looks like a good project, should be proud of your work. Keep posting pictures as you go for us.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Dang, certainly putting on some custom work on this. Looking forward to your progress.

As for the steering wheel and button swap, don't quote me, but what the buttons do I believe are dictated by resistance from the wheel buttons to the radio. if the resistance is the same, then all should be good. Hopefully the air bag connections are the same. I don't believe anyone did a wheel swap, so curious what you find out so it can be shared with others.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:39 PM
1 Year Member

Thank you much

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.