Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Installing a factory sunroof into a non sunroof Monte

Old 04-15-2018, 10:11 PM
1 Year Member
Default Installing a factory sunroof into a non sunroof Monte

So I'm buying a 2001 Monte SS to replace my 02, my 02 has a perfectly working sunroof and I'd love to put it in the 01 I'm buying which doesn' have a sunroof at all.

Anyone ever put a sunroof from a donor car into their Monte? If so what all is involved.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool

Wow that is a pretty detailed project.
Not as simple as you would want or think it to be.
Because of the controls in the roof, I don't think you could just cut a hole in the thing and stick it in.
You would need to replace the roof of the 01 with the roof of the 02. I have seen a few of these in those U pull it salvage yards and always look them over pretty good to see how they function.
Lots of folks have leaking issues, so it helps to understand how they work.
It would be as detailed as if you were going to chop a Classic 1950 Merc.
If you do it please show the photo's step by step. Kool project.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't think it'll work. Probably be easier to move EVERYTHING from the '01 to the '02. But I don't mean to be so negative, I just hope you really like a challenge. Good luck!

Old 04-17-2018, 11:31 AM

There are universal kits.. I know a guy that runs a car shop and he installs them.. No power or anything, they dont slide open, just kinda pop up or you can take it off completely..

With the trim that is needed to seal around this "universal sunroof" it looks very ugly and out of place..

Ive never seen him do a Monte BUT from the look of the roof we have, it seems like maybe you could get away with it looking "OK".. But I personally wouldnt..

Old 04-18-2018, 01:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My wifes 04 Impala was without a sun roof, she wanted one, plus a trunk spoiler. You know the drill, nag nag nag nag nag. $1500 later and it looked good, worked well, the car was T-boned in an intersection probably 2 or 3 months later. So the kits can be done, look good, but to do this yourself will be the times you threw wrenches and dented up the car, lol Have a pro do it like me they have all the tools. So top dollar, minimum return, ugh

Old 04-24-2018, 02:20 PM

You're welcome to buy a solid roof somewhere and swap it out with mine. I don't open my sunroof because it looks idiotic, and every time it rains (I'm in FL, so that's frequently), I look upward anticipating leaks.

Search this Thread
Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.