General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

2nd Gen ('73-'77): 77 Monte Carlo Landau

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Default 77 Monte Carlo Landau

Hey there MC forum people.. I am new the the site and looking forward to the info and shop talk.. Well let me get right to it... I am having trouble finding out the details on my Monte i bought last year. I purchased this car from the original owner and she told me the way I bought it is the way she did. It has a RARE type of top and trim i cannot find anywhere. Also the decal and pinstripe pattern is very different too. The paint is a seafoam green which was dull but i wet sanded it, buffed it and brought life back to it. It was all original from the 305 engine to tires with rally caps and 38k original miles on the odometer. I'm in a Lowrider car club so i changed a few things and put a hydraulic system on it. Don't worry, I only raise and lower. Never hop and abuse it. I am considering selling it (Lowrider style or back to original) to finish my real project but until I find out if this car is truly a rare find like i'm hearing, I dont know what kind of price to ask. I dont wanna cut myself short nor do i wanna over price it.. So any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated. I will post more pics soon. Thanks in advance gentlemen...

Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 PM

mods like that ruin value sad to say but true unless its a show car totally redone its gonna be less then what others can ask. i would guess around 7k might sell it fair

Old 03-12-2013, 09:32 PM

Chevrolet : Monte Carlo SPORT in Chevrolet | eBay Motors
for reference. FYI i believe the laudau is not worth more. the 305 is the base motor. the 350 is the engine to have but if all original you have a selling point if it werent for that hydraulic system you might be able to ask alot more

Old 03-13-2013, 10:28 AM

Thanks for your opinion. Yeah I kinda figured putting hydros on it would only limit my selling to the Lowrider community. I am getting offers ranging from $5500-$7000 as is sits now but I think i'm going to put it back stock and see if I can get more from a different type of car community. The only thing replaced to do the hydros was the front upper A-arms and 4 holes in the trunk for the battery rack and hoses. Easily fixable. If i can get $8500+ for it stock, then i think I would be happy. As a lowrider, maybe your right about the $7k area.. Thanks again

Old 03-13-2013, 12:55 PM

the landaus are vinyl top cars. its a fairly common thing on the montes and a lot of the other a/g bodies. mine is also a landau vinyl top car which i personally despise. the second gen montes i dont think are really worth much, same goes for the 3rd, 4th nonss, and 5th gen cars. they made a ton of them, theyre bigger and heavier than the first gens, and didnt have any wild motors(ie big blocks. i think 75 is the last year for that.) at 8500+ youre talkin close to 10k. you can get a first gen with a big block for that so i cant see a 77 small block car getting near that money. i think 7k is a lot, and i would take it if it made up for what i spent on the car. its probably worth more as a lowrider seeing as theyre big and kind of pimp(especially if you have the strato buckets in it) that is unless you find someone with an unhealthy obsession with 77 montes.(these people do exist.) at the end of the day a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. i would assume that if someone is buying it and they arent old enough to have bought it new and want a sea foam green one like they had in high school than they are probably going to mod the car anyway so not being original probably wont hurt you. all honesty i would probably keep it if i were you, throw a little big block in it and cruise it. who knows maybe in another 10yrs or so and youll have people beating down your door for it(unless your real project is a bomber than definitely get rid of the monte.) either way post some pics of it and your project car. maybe someone on here might want it.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The 2nd gens are iffy when it comes to selling.I seen a few in great shape go for 4k an I seen a few in poor shape go for 5k+ One guy sold one that was mint for $8500 not to long ago around my area.It all depends on the buyer

Old 03-13-2013, 08:10 PM

Thanks MonteMan.. I will defintely take into consideration everything you said. Maybe I should take the $6500 offer I just got today and run with it. And yes, my 53 is a bomb style truck so thats where my true love is right now. With the money i get from selling my 77, its gonna help get my 53 rolling faster. Pics will be posted soon.Thanks again

Old 03-16-2013, 05:42 PM

Zen is right on the money there. I was in the market to buy until 2011, just couldn't find one I could afford. I'd find one in good shape but someone lowered it (no offense) or the frame was rotted while the body was perfect or vice versa. You have to find the right buyer. A person like me would pay just about anything if he/she found the right car. You seem nice so I won't scream about lowering a 1 owner 77 with 38lk miles ...sigh

Old 03-21-2013, 02:52 PM

The 73-77 GM A-body cars are starting to increase in value, but are still considered a bargain. I bought my 77 Monte Carlo for $1200 in August 2012. 66k original miles, numbers matching, clean interior/exterior. The pre-72 cars always got all the attention, but as they get played... this generation is the next big thing. It just depends if you are willing to wait. Its just not there yet...

If someone offered you 8 grand, I would sell. Thats a fair deal as long as you haven't sunk too much coin into the modifications. Putting it back to stock may yield a much lower number... well below 5 grand. Then you are stuck with additional parts to sell.

Its only a matter of time before people realize these cars can swallow up a big block without a hiccup and modify like the pre-72s. Yet these cars are stronger, newer and cheaper to buy. When that realization comes mainstream, you will see these cars jump in value.