General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

3800 Engine Cover Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question 3800 Engine Cover Removal

I've read many post on the process of actually painting the engine cover but I just looked at it and for the life of me I'm not 100% sure how to remove the cover. The back will pop out real easy but the front... I can tell that the oil fill tube most likely needs to be removed but can't figure out how to do it. Seems like there is enough movement that it may be held in place with an O-ring but I don't want to give it a good yank to find out that it has a key way in it and I snap the thing into multiple pieces.

I see that many people out there have painted covers, I doubt that all of you painted yours sitting on the engine... then again. Realize that this is probably a stupid question and if I played with it long enough I'd probably figure it out but... hey isn't that why we're all here, to help each other out???

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Old 09-24-2009, 03:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

LOL you are going to cry when you read how easy this is.

Instead of grabbing your oil cap like you were going to add oil, grab the whole tube, and twist that off like you would the cap. Now lift up on the engine cover, and pull it forward.

Done!

Also, put the tube back on so nothing gets in, or you can put the cap back on without the tube for the time being if you really wanted to.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:37 PM

yup, it's just that easy...

Old 09-24-2009, 04:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

yeah i just took mine off to help my engine and S/C breath a lil better while its so freaking hot, sunny, and humid down here this week. mine just requires the top screw to be screwed off and then my oil cap has to come off, i can't take the whole tube i dont think so at least lol

Old 09-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep

Instead of grabbing your oil cap like you were going to add oil, grab the whole tube, and twist that off like you would the cap. Now lift up on the engine cover, and pull it forward.

Done!

Yeah, took me longer to read your post then it did to take it off. Could have sworn I tried turning it both directions... Guess I was a little apprehensize and didn't give it the effort required!

Now I guess tommorrow is a trip to the store for some Dawn and Fusion paint and an order for decals. Thinking from what I've seen online already... Black cover with reflective silver decals... maybe with the V6 being reflective red. Trying to pick-up the color scheme of the Monte Carlo SS on the outside of the car. Thoughts?

Once again thanks guys, appreciate your time to help "Special Ed"

Last edited by JAFO; 09-24-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Completeing thoughts....
Old 09-24-2009, 05:24 PM

15 Year Member

Thoughts are that it will look really nice

Old 09-24-2009, 05:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

X2 That sound like it will look really nice!

Old 05-06-2011, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep

Done!

Also, put the tube back on so nothing gets in, or you can put the cap back on without the tube for the time being if you really wanted to.

My hands are crying i cant get the tube off at all. It feels like the only way to to move it it to break it at the top.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:34 AM

15 Year Member

Really? The tube should just twist partly and pull off just like the oil cap.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Sometimes I find I need to continue twisting the oil cap past the stopper in the tube. What this does is forces the tube to eventually twist and then lift the cap and tube as one assembly.

Since many people never remove the tube when changing oil, it's not uncommon for the o-ring on the tube to bond tighty to the valve cover.

Quick Reply: 3800 Engine Cover Removal