General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

3400 mods or save for l67?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What ever you do after awhile you will always have the need for more speed. One gets so used to their car and it's leaving you wanting more and more to go faster and faster. So enjoy what you have and sock away some big money till your ready to act on your final plan. And GO BIG or you will be unhappy pretty quickly when STI's, Evo's,SRT8's and simple Mustang GT's roll up on you.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Taz
If you just want to get a few extra horses out of your 3400, you can get an air intake and an exhaust system. But if you want to start getting some serious power out of your car, you need to make a plan.

Start with what your goal is, and work back from there. Let's say you want to get 300 horse's out of a 6th gen Monte. You're not going to get that from a 3400. You'll most likely want to start with a 3800 powered Monte. From there you're going to need to figure out what you want to do. Mod a supercharged L67 or start with a naturally aspirated L36 and maybe go the turbo route?

With the 3800 engines, your options are only limited by your wallet. Which is why you need to plan everything out before you start. So you don't waste your money buying something, then ripping it out a few months later because it doesn't work with your future plans.

Just my opinion though.

Edit: Or you can fall in love with the 7th gen body, and get yourself a 06/07 V8 SS. (303 hp)
Im really contemplating just saving up my money to get a 7th gen. but i thought the after market for the 7th gen was much smaller than the 3800.

Originally Posted by Montess2k
In my opinion, unless you have a personal attachment to your car, I recommend saving as much as you can, selling your current car and buying one either with a N/A 3800 and modding that or spending some more money and buying a SC 3800 (whole car not just the engine for a swap)

As crazy as it sounds that might be the most cheapest and painless way of getting more power in the long run.

JMO,
Joe
im either going to get an 6th gen ss or save up to get a 7th gen ss. i could probably sell my car and put a nice down payment on a 7th gen but i dont want payments.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
What ever you do after awhile you will always have the need for more speed. One gets so used to their car and it's leaving you wanting more and more to go faster and faster. So enjoy what you have and sock away some big money till your ready to act on your final plan. And GO BIG or you will be unhappy pretty quickly when STI's, Evo's,SRT8's and simple Mustang GT's roll up on you.
yea i feel you on that i gotta stick with monte carlos though they look so good!!

Old 02-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Aarong904
Im really contemplating just saving up my money to get a 7th gen. but i thought the after market for the 7th gen was much smaller than the 3800.
The aftermarket for the 3800 is huge because the engine was used in so many cars. But especially the Grand Prix. And it was used for a long time. But one thing about the 7th gen SS. With the LS4 V8 engine, you're starting at 303 hp. With the 3800, you start at 200 hp (naturally aspirated) or 240 hp (supercharged). To match the 300 hp of the LS4, you need to mod the 3800 engine.

That's money you need to think about. Buying a 2004 or 2005 with a 3800 will be a cheaper purchase price. But then you need to spend money on mods to reach 300 hp. The purchase price of a 2006/2007 LS4 powered SS will be higher, but you're getting 303 hp right from the start.

Another thing to consider is the transmission. If you start pushing 300 hp out of an L36 or an L67, your stock tranny isn't going to last long. Because let's face it. If you're building a 3800 powered Monte up to 300 hp, it's not to drive it leisurely to the super market. You're gonna beat on it occasionally. And the transmission will be a weak point.

Not to say it can't be done. You can do some work to beef up the transmission too. But again, is it worth the money to do that much modding?

Many people mod their 3800's just to see how much power they can get out of them. Also because they love their car, and to them modding and wrenching on their car is what they enjoy. If that's what you're like, then I don't need to tell you what to do. You'll want to get in there and get your hands dirty, and install mods on the car as money comes available. But if you're just looking for the most power for the money right out of the box, then the 7th gen SS is the way to go.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:40 PM

sounds like a plan! im gonna save up to get a 7th gen monte carlo ss. thaks for all the info and input taz! im probably gonna save up until i sell my car and put it all in for a down payment for one.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Aarong904
sounds like a plan! im gonna save up to get a 7th gen monte carlo ss. thaks for all the info and input taz! im probably gonna save up until i sell my car and put it all in for a down payment for one.
Im with ya.Gonna do simple mods to the monte then look for some real power camaro ss,older or 7th gen v8 monte,or terminator cobra